US consulate closed in MX

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Mar 8, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

2. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

Awesome. But not unforeseen.

3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Yep, not surprising. The highway from Belize through Playa del Carmen and then past Cancun is known as the "Cocaine Highway". I was briefly in Cancun a couple years ago, and drug sales were everywhere, guys were walking down the streets shouting out what kinds of drugs they had for sale, and this was in the heart of the tourist area. The cartels pay off the police, and they turn a blind eye. I was staying in Tulum, about 50 miles south, beautiful beaches, weather, and senoritas. It's too bad because most of the people are really nice hardworking folks.

WoodieSC likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I loved Tulum! You visit Akumal Beach? Cool sea turtles there.

5. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Yep, I love that whole area. At the resort I was staying in, there were all these small fenced off areas on the beach. I asked what was up, they were places the sea turtles had laid eggs and they were keeping people out until they hatched.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I read today that they have had 30,000 murders this past year. Sounds lovely. Let's get that wall built pronto.

WoodieSC likes this.
  7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Many many years ago my wife and I hitch hiked from Playa Del Carmen almost to Belize. We found undeveloped Mayan ruins and had some good fishing for
    Permit and Bonefish. Probably would not do that today but we had a very memorable time, met some great people, and ate good local food.
    We have a house south of Puerta Vallarta and have never had the slightest problem. We have travelled all over Mexico and have not had a problem. We are so close friends with a Mexican family that they are family. The Sprig hunting is very, very good.

8. Vammy

This situation in MX has been going on for a while; it was more-or-less limited to border towns, but has spread to the tourist area's. Last spring/summer it definitely got worse, or at least more public; in Nov my employer (multi-national conglomerate) issued a ban on biz travel to Mexico unless accompanied by a member of one of our offices down there...I called my boss that day asked him how come they haven't banned travel to Iraq and Libya, but now we can't go to Mexico?? It's the same anywhere you go; be aware of your surroundings, don't go places you probably shouldn't, and you'll be fine.

Our friends have an aunt with a house on Cozumel; "Aunt Doris" is leaning on 70, she's there right now...she opens her house to anyone who wants to use it for dirt cheap, but there are a few rules on where to go, etc...

We're headed to Cozumel in June for a wedding. We're not staying at Aunt Doris's, but others are...we're renting a villa. We did buy insurance in the event we cannot/should not go...

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My daughter and her boyfriend are heading down to that area next week. But she is a savvy world traveler who has been to four or five continents and intuitively knows to watch her six.

10. Vammy

Perfect; and good on her.