US sending 12 A-10's to Europe

Discussion in 'World News / Current Events Forum' started by WidgeonmanGH, Feb 18, 2015.

1. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

So if O moves unilaterally through the WPA you'd be supportive?
    If the GOP controlled House and Senate refuse to act would you support that?

2. lanthanide

lanthanide Elite Refuge Member

The A-10 was built in the 70's specifically to confront Soviet armor poised at 'Point Alpha'...as they poured across the Fulda Gap. This point in Germany was then supposed to the the big 'kick-off' to WWIII.

During the cold war the A-10 was deployed IN FORCE across German and Europe to support the 11th armored cavalry facing 1000 Soviet tanks and 100,000 infantry in E. Germany during the 80's.

During that time there were no less than 6 squadrons of A-10's deployed across England and Europe. The fact that we've made a lousy 10 plane, 'token' deployment is a weak show by Obama.

I don't think Putin is impressed at all. They're probably all sitting wingtip to wingtip on an open airfield. Nice, easy target.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I'm thinking he'll send a really mean worded letter, and let them know he is VERY angry with them, but apologize, as it is somehow the USs fault.

4. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

You are right, the force in itself is not the point, it is the provocation value of it.

I think O is bumbling along, and his weak and unreasoned responses, as well as red lines that weren't red lines, we won't have boots on the ground to deal with ISIS- until we do, etc. all demonstrate he has no idea what he is doing.

A strong consistent and steady US foreign policy creates safety in the world. The results of the O administration are obvious. But congress is equally inept and the last election has changed nothing. In fact, it might have made it worse. The clueless wonder might ask for it, and the Hawks in the Senate and House might just give him all the authorization he needs and encourage it.

I was sitting with some friends yesterday, and we were talking about this very thing. We wondered if this is what it felt like in 1938. Economic mess, propaganda everywhere, growing anti-semetism in Europe (and in the US) and an aggressive despot with an ax to grind.

History doesn't repeat, but it often rhymes.

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I missed the economic mess...can you tell me more?

6. Doubletap

Doubletap Elite Refuge Member

ISIS scares me more than Putin

7. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Let's not deal in what ifs - let's play in the real world.

"O" as you call him has had 6 years to reach across the aisle and build coalitions on various issues; to date, he has chosen not to. He seems to be more interested in selfies, global warming, and golf.

Furthermore, he has had ample opportunity to address the Ukraine, Syria, ISIS, Iran, North Korea, etc., etc. by building a political coalition at home with both parties - and again, he has chosen not to.

And the world has noticed, which is why all of these gosh darn terrible things seem to be happening at once.

8. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

:l:l:l

But at least your up on who is banning yoga pants.

9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

The last thing puttin wants is to actually fight the U.S. since his military is a shadow of what it once was and could be taken down by Canada! He is vary good at puffing up and throwing his weight around to bully his nabors around but if push came to shove he would tuck tail and run. Luckily we Big O to keep us safe and to keep Puttin at bay!:doh

10. CPLZ

CPLZ Senior Refuge Member

Couldn't disagree more. Putin is begging for war. I agree that he knows he can't win a military conflict, but I don't believe that's what he's after.

His economy is in shambles and with oil so depressed, no likely recovery. I believe he would parlay a conflict into an aid package in exchange for the cessation of military activities.