Used decoy prices

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by markd, Jun 14, 2018.

1. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy that selling his rig. He has a bunch Bigfoot goose full bodies, G & H ducks....good quality decoys.

What do you guys think is a reasonable starting price formula assuming the decoys are in good, but used shape? 60% current retail for same/similar products? 50%?

Interested to here some opinions.

2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

If I find bigfeet for $200 a dozen, I buy them. See them listed for $250-$275 often.

3. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I agree with 2WIDGN that the Bigfoot goose decoys in good used shape are worth about $200/dozen.

Used floating duck decoys around here do not go for much. The new offerings are so good that the older used stuff is just not all that appealing. Around here used G&H duck decoys in good condition maybe bring $30 - 35/dozen if rigged, but you have to find a willing buyer.

I am trying to give away 27 floating duck decoys (Flambeau & Cabela's) free to a young hunter including a decoy bag and have not been successful yet. Maybe someone gets interested closer to hunting season, but there is just not much interest in duck floaters that are not the new stuff. JMO

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I agree with the the other guys but want to add it also depends on what kind he has. If he is selling Bigfoot B2's he will get a little less than Original Bigfoots. I have seen bigfoots around me sit for a while, so it will probably depend on your area if anyone wants to run bigfoots. The G&H go for about 1-3 dollars a piece around me and normally don't sell super fast. If they are over sized they go for a little bit more.

Warthog I had the same problem as you I tried giving away 3 dozen old duck floaters last year and never found a taker. They will probably live in my shed forever.

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Every spring during high water on the Mississippi river we do our annual treasure hunt and usually pick up six to ten dozen decoys on the three pools we run. Last ten years we have picked up nearly 1500 decoys. We sell them for $1.00 each. Sometimes back to the original owners, who are usually more then happy to get them back. I have about three dozen left of the ones we picked up this year. Any one in my area needing a few cheap decoys, feel free to come and sort out what you need.

Attached Files:

6. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

The shed forever is the part that scares me! LOL Might just take them to a youth hunt and forget to pick up the decoy bag after the hunt.

7. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

If there are some herters in there I'll pay a dollar a piece and pay for shipping! haha. That's crazy you find that many every year.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about goose decoys but even the latest pro series type duck decoys go for 50% of retail or less, depending on condition. I got 2 dz GHG pro series wigeon for $30 per dz, Retail for 2 dz is about $260 if that gives you any idea of resale value. G&H might be worth something to a guy that is a hardcore G&H fan but any other old decoys are about $1-$2 each if not free.

9. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I usually have a couple old decoy collectors call me every spring to see what I 've found. They grab up all the old wood, cork, and early plastic stuff I have. They don't go for a dollar apiece though. I do have some early Victor, plastic Mallard decoys and I think a couple old Herter mallard 63s with the plastic head. I also have two real nice paper mache that my dad saved back in the 50s. Don't think they were ever in the water. Most decoys we find are up on the flooded Islands and most have been thru the ice, so they need to be touched up a bit to be serviceable.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

True, I should have said out dated decoys. I collect some of the earlier "vintage" plastics and they go for 10-15 each for most of them unless they're NIB/mint condition or something like the victor bluewing teal. I'm a sucker for those old featherlites from the 50's-60's with the flat weighted bottom that I don't know if you would call a keel. Been looking for pintails but don't see many of them, mainly mallards.