Used Gun Prices

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by don835, Dec 11, 2017.

1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

Anyone know what the value of a 2 year old Winchester SX3 is? Looking to trade for an SX4 and don't know what my gun is worth. Thanks in advance for your help...Murph.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With the SX4 and $100. to boot .....I'd say it would be fair !

3. don835

Thank You Sir!

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you're trading the SX3 in at a gun shop, you can expect to get significantly less than market value. Remember; the shop has to be able to put a retail price on the used SX3 that allows them to sell it in a reasonable amount of time and still make a profit on it...i.e. sell it for more than they gave you as trade-in value.
    Bottom line: trading guns in at a gun shop is seldom recommended unless you have money to throw away.

So, don't surprised if a shop offers you $300 trade-in for your SX3, providing it is in like-new condition.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Sorry , I really don't want to get your hopes up to high , anytime you are Trading a used gun for a New gun expect to get short-changed as the used gun
    has only your word as to it's condition but the New gun has the manufactures along with the dealers backing it up !
    Is there a reason WHY the SX3 after shooting it for 2 years hasn't met your needs ?

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Searching wood stocked SX3's, completed auctions, on Gunbroker.com *you can only search completed auctions if you are a member* I find...
    Sweet spot is around $500. I see a couple that went for $600, one about $400. All the guns looked to be in good shape.

Edit:
    I should also add I see a TON of listings, closed now, starting at $800 and up, and they got zero bids.

7. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

So true. Gun shops have to buy your used gun at a wholesale price so they can sell at a retail price(actual value). Selling privately, although not as convenient, is better for the wallet.

8. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

For trade-in, $600. This is what I was offered one month ago for a 3 year old SX3 (3 1/2" black shadow, 28" model). Not sure if I can name the chain store, but it starts with a C. They said they would put the gun on the for sale rack for $695.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  9. don835

Thank You everyone for the reply's. I like the SX3 and there is nothing wrong with it. Just want an SX4...Murph.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had my sx3 for 9 years. Not one single complaint. Ive read the 4’s reviews and while I’ve not physically handled one, a lot of people say they feel “cheap”. At plus $200 less than the original 3, I’d guess it is. Sometimes newer is not better but I’m not one to fault someone for wanting a change.

callinfowl likes this.