Useful Duck Info

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by akjack, Jul 24, 2007.

1. akjack

akjack Senior Refuge Member

Sure not much of it here ? How about any of you who hunt the Palmer hay flats. Is the best access of the Anchorage/Wasilla highway at the Fish and Game entry, i believe at Rabbit creek ? I went down that rough tore up road about a quarter mile to the stream. Some told me it's 4 miles out to the more open water ? Is that true ? Is the hunting any good ? Is best way to hunt it with a Mud Motor ? or is a small outboard ok ? Saw some threads hear last year about some yahoos out there. Is it safe to park your truck???...Thanks

2. patrickwellis

patrickwellis Senior Refuge Member

Don't really know why AKJack oh well, i'll help with as much info as I can. First thing that you should do with the computer you have is down load the free version of Google Earth. It gives a bird eye view of alaska, you can get really good looks at these places you'll have questions about.

To answer your question, yes that tore up road is where you can put your boat to get back in there. It's virtually impossible to get to open water by following that creek all the way to the arm, unless of course the tide is in and you get lucky. Where you can get to is a big lake that is about 3 miles back. It is marked by a beat up shack that some big dude likes to hang out in. His shack marks the place where you portage your boat into the lake. you can get into the lake from the arm side as well, but it is much more tide dependant (low tide can't get into it).

But that lake has provided me some great shooting. To the second part of the question those guys in the tent still hang out 2 miles down the slough. havn't had much bad luck with people breaking into my truck- but i take everything worth money with me. Keep asking questions and i'll answer them, the best I can. Oh also check the game and fish website they have good info and maps of waterfowl refuges.

3. akjack

akjack Senior Refuge Member

Thanks, Pat, Yes, I have met the folks that build that shack, but don't seem to hunt there anymore much. I believe that they said when they hunted it they got a lot of Pintails there and some Geese I believe. I'v seen some guys at the parking lot with mud motors. Do you think they are necessary or any great advantage ? I'm goin to use a big canoe with a small outboard. What species have you encountered ? Any divers ( I like to hunt these best, but others will do) Do you park out at the lot where the signs are at the start of the bad road ? The 'hay flats were a wonder back in the 30's. There is an article by the famous outdoor author Russell Annabelle in an old Outdoor life or Field and Stream. I'm sure the place is just a remnant of what once was *what isn't)

4. patrickwellis

I go all the way down that bumpy road and park. It's not that bad of a drive unless someone is wanting to come out at about the same time your going in. Mud motors are worth their weight around here. They can get you in places that others can't, and especially with the shallow water of rabbit slough they can get you down in a hurry. outboards with short shafts do work- but you may have to get out and pull accross a very shallow spot. My advice would be to go down rabbit slough during daylight hours and low tide, just to get a feel for what you might encounter at o dark thirty.

I've taken every species or duck pretty much, except geese. Pintails, gadwalls, mallard, teal, widgeon, spoonies. Just about everything. keep scouting seasons right around the corner.

5. skybust

skybust Senior Refuge Member

The big guy who hangs out at the green cabin can be a jerk so watch for him. He seems to think he owns the place.:mad:

6. patrickwellis

That guy does think he owns the place, He really got onto me last year when we took our too big motor into that body of water. I honestly didn't know about the motor restriction. After seeing those big mud motors go up in there I thought anything goes. oh well.

7. bobshem

bobshem Senior Refuge Member

There was a hunter of considerable girth who set his decoys out for at least an entire four-day weekend in a prime hunting spot. Apparently the gentleman is under the impression that he can take semi-permanent possession of a good hunting location on public land by staking a claim with a spread of decoys.

Because he left his decoys out 24 hours a day in a good spot, his unattended spread pulled ducks away from where I was hunting. Needless to say I was pi$$ed at being shut out of a spot that I wanted to hunt. The additional insult of having working birds drop into an unattended spread was almost more that I could take.

I have been thinking about making a proposal to Fish and Game to add a law prohibiting placing decoys prior to two hours before legal shooting time and prohibit leaving decoys unattended on public land. You leave, you take your decoys. Failing to do so converts your decoys to abandoned property and are free for the taking.

If I run into the same problem this year I think I will make this pitch to the State.

8. patrickwellis

You are a better man than me, If i see decoys out that no one is using, the chances of them becoming my property are 1 in 1 or maybe they might all develop lead poisoning :grvn . That's just plain rude to leave decoys out like that in a popular, public hunting area.

9. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

I grew up hunting a public area and your decoys had to be up by 1 hour after shooting time and your boat couldn't even be on the water until Midnight for the next day. (We had boat blinds you could sleep in) There is no place for leaving your decoys out all night on a public marsh.

The Knik area is getting to be overcrowded and some real "jewel's" are hunting out there. Some of the experiences that board members have had really got me down, from leaving decoys out, shooting while under power, thefts out of boats and parking lot break-in's it is getting to be too much.
    Those of us good guys really have to keep our eyes out for our fellow hunters.

10. yellowdog05

yellowdog05 Elite Refuge Member

Bobshem

Here is our regulation in Maryland regarding leaving unattended decoys on public waterfowl hunting areas. This might be of some help.

1. .26 Waterfowl Decoys on Service Owned or Controlled Lands.
    A person may not place waterfowl decoys on any lands or waters owned or controlled by the Service before 1 hour before sunrise. Waterfowl decoys may not be left set overnight on these areas and all decoys shall be picked up not later than 1 hour after sunset.

Good hunting!

Larry Hindman
    Waterfowl Project Manager
    Maryland DNR