Useful Duck Info

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by akjack, Jul 24, 2007.

1. akquackerwhacker

akquackerwhacker New Member

I must say that I have ALWAYS had a wonderful time in texas, and I find to women to be most beautiful and quite accommodating. Especially to men in military uniform... Ahh those were the days!.
    BUT...
    I have found Alaskan women to be beautiful and functional. I may have found beauties in Texas, but I do not beleive I would have found one that would spend a night butchering a moose in bear country, Or one that hunts enthusiastically by my side. Or one that can handle 12 Huskies on a cold trail in the night.

Truth be told, i brought her from Wisconsin (home of the grain fed women) but she is now an Alaskan having shoveled many roofs, cleaned a few moose, plucked a few ducks, and incurred a few scars along the way.

SO< here is to Texas women, and the talents they possess, and here is to the strong Alaskan women and the men they possess.....:sp

2. benellisbe2

benellisbe2 Senior Refuge Member

Alright last comment i am saying on this deke issue, if i came across a blind i would not hunt in it, for one thing if it is well maintained it was probably hunted out of recently, and i try not to hunt a place that has been shot alot, also it takes alote more dedication to haul all the crap in there to build a permanent blind than to throw out some dekes and go back to camp (IMHO) I dont leave dekes out on our private land in texas, but theres different reasons behind it there. second I do love texas and wish i was there. the reason i am not is personal and no ones bussiness, and i am not getting in to an argument over who's state is better or who loves there state more, besides you dont have real football here so we win by default. third if you really care about this state and waterfowling you will help me start a delta chapter up here to ensure our kids have a place to hunt.

3. akquackerwhacker

The Deke issue is over. (no wonder men go to war)
    As for the Delta chapter. I would love to visit Delta and perhaps to hunt it. Never really hunted geese, and I am ashamed to say that I have not been to Delta... Oh, wait a minute, you are talking about something else aren't you...
    Call me a bumpkin, not much of a joiner but I can and have been known to help with creation ;) whatever I can do do help, let me know...

P.S. you got any women in Delta?

4. Kusko

Kusko Senior Refuge Member

I feel bad for you guys that have to hunt with competition. We will leave our decoys out all weekend, but we are they ONLY people that hunt that area. I will move them on occasion just to make sure the ducks don't figure me out. Opening weekend for us was awesome as usual.

5. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

In my conversations with many people I have learned that one of the basic issues with communication are missunderstood words. Many people make up their own definitions for words that fit their ideas and refuse to learn the actual definitions of even the simpilist most commonly used words. I am not pointing an finger here, just laying out a fact I have come across in dealing with thousands of people.

When looking up the definition of "right" in my little paperback dictionary the first definition is "in accordance with what is good, proper or just".There is nothing in the many following definitions that tell us much about what is a right, so this situation is left to the very first definition, which would be for the collective "we" and not the individual.

In order for decoys to be left out over night to be a "right" that action has be good, proper and just as determined by the collective "we". Good, proper and just are easy to define as well, but we all know that we each have our own ideas as to what is good, proper and just. Because of this we have to have laws to deal with the folks of low moral character, and for those folks whose moral compass spins in circles.

Although not illegal in AK, does leaving your decoys out over night follow the collective "right" of being good proper and just?

In AK we have a huge amount of "freedoms" due to the lack of laws and regulations. However, even the most basic laws are broken daily by folks in the field. A few folks break laws unintentionally and turn themselves in, but most law breakers in the field do so with the full knowledge that they are doing so. Reading the Public Safety daily briefings on all the sub legal moose being shot is rather amusing. Reading the AOJ private angler reports about the Russian River silver snaggers and over limit takers is also amusing. It is even funnier to be down there and let the folks with low moral character know that they are lower than a pile of dog poo.

Last year a fellow thought I was the fish cop when I asked him about his too many silvers and he ran away leaving his gear and fish there on the gravel bar. My moral compass made me leave the gear there even though I could have used the Sage rod. I don't know if he ever came back, but it was gone an hour later but the fish remained on the stringer on the gravel.

I don't mind folks doing an over night set because they won't be doing it where I now hunt since it is too far away from anywhere to justify the long boat rides.

The only time I have ever minded an over night set is when a guy showed up to Jim Lake at midnight and kept the rest of us up all night with his talking and noise. And then we find in the AM that one of their party had rowed out in the dark and set up decoys in the far end of the lake. During the previous evening myself and the other dad and son group had scouted and selected two spots we wanted to hunt in the next morning. We had a gentleman's agreement between us about the distance and what not. Then came the poacher during the night and set his decoys up between the two spots making it impossible for us to set up with being just a few yards way from him.

It is those folks that I have an issue with. The folks that refuse to show any courtesy to people already there. The people that assume that just because nobody is sitting right there at that exact moment in time that it is OK to do what they want even though it is clear that they are third in line when they showed up. These are the same guys that think it is OK to squeeze their 22 foot tuck into the 25 foot gap between you and the car in font of you on the highway just because it will fit.

I also remember the day I was "passed" at the Gull Lake boat ramp. A dude in a Ford Ranger with Texas plates just went around me while I was getting my gear in the boat, and drove down the rocks to the beach without ever getting out of his truck to see if there was someone down there already. There wasn't so it worked out for him and he didn't have to back his boat up the rocks to let someone out, or nobody had to back back down the road to let this guy down onto the ramp area.

6. akquackerwhacker

The only time I have ever minded an over night set is when a guy showed up to Jim Lake at midnight and kept the rest of us up all night with his talking and noise. And then we find in the AM that one of their party had rowed out in the dark and set up decoys in the far end of the lake. During the previous evening myself and the other dad and son group had scouted and selected two spots we wanted to hunt in the next morning.

Don't ya wish you had exercised you "right" under the law to set up your dekes the night before?

also. It occurs that you have found the adjective "right" and not the noun "right" defined as:
    Right
    ?noun
    a just claim or title, whether legal, prescriptive, or moral: e.g. You have a right to say what you please.

that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.

There are, of course are more, but these are the most pertinent. Perhaps my 1938 Websters is not up to todays grey standards but hey, it was good enough for my pop so it's good enough for me...

Now perhaps you wish you had not pointed fingers also?

7. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

No I don't. I wish that everyone had the same level of moral standards as I do. Just because you can does not mean that you should.

And you got me on the noun issue. However, the noun still employs a collective moral principle, and we each have a moral code that operates at a different level. What makes one guy happy will ruin someone elses day. That is a just the way that humans decided to operate their society.

This is the "intertubes" (?Ted Stevens, R-AK) where nothing actually matters, so wishing to retract something is not high on my to do list.

8. AK DUCKMAN

AK DUCKMAN Senior Refuge Member

Kusko
    I think I just might have to move up there. Someones life down here may depend on it.
    I stay 2 miles away.

Even the Devil would have sympathy!

9. akjack

akjack Senior Refuge Member

it seems to me on the opener ! all the folk I met seems to be fair minded individules. The problem is that duck lake is only so big and for it's size had a lot of hunters on opening day if you count all the hunters on the outskirts of the lake. I felt i was 300 yards from the other guy, but distance is hard to judge over water. The lake is hardly large enough to get 300 years from the next hunter, at least it seemed that way to me from all the gunfire going on in the area. In the lower 48 you draw permits to hunt desiginated blinds...if you are lucky...It's not that bad on the Hay flats..so that is good at least. I'v got a feeling that some who complain get to hunt there a lot more than many of us....and kill way more birds per season.:)

10. akquackerwhacker

I actually consider my "moral code" to occupy a fairly high plain. I do unto others as I would have them do unto me. and beyond that I leave the rest to Karma.

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." --Abraham Lincoln

I Don't put my decoys out the night before to exclude anyone, I do it so I don't have to do it in the morning. Duck Lake is huge, I know, because I have explored a lot of it, over the last seven years. I have put a lot of effort into jumping ducks that other people shot. There are plenty of places to hunt with adequate distance from the next hunter. Furthermore, I really feel the hunting is better the more people that are out. Keeps the birds up and moving.

I am, as of this post, done with this conversation. The above quote by Old Honest Abe, pretty much sums up how I feel. I do not believe in more laws, or less freedoms. I do not want anything in Alaska to be as it is in the LOWER 48, that is why I live here. If one feels "excluded" you have every right and freedom to get there before I do. Again I don't want to here anything about "other obligations" we all have them, it is just a matter of priorities, I work 350 days a year or so, Even when I am duck hunting, but duck season is my vacation. I take it. It is also my vacation from the rat race of other people dictating what I can and cannot, or should not do> I follow the law to the letter, always, not because I believe in all of the laws but because I feel that it is right, and because every true hunter is also a conservationist (Theodore Roosevelt). IF the flats get to crowded, I will move on, no big deal. and none of you will ever find me :)

P.S. thanks akjack. your attitude is welcome in the swamp any time. But, you are way wrong about the size of duck lake, you just haven't found it all yet;)\