Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Useful light ideas on a duck boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jangle, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I used to have "cabin lights" in my duck boats but have found those lights that clip-on to the bill of your cap are 100% all I need. I have some medium intensity "docking" lights on the side of my duck boat really help when I'm putting out decoys. I hunt alone so good, hands-free lighting is a necessity for dealing with 25' singles and long-lines.

CanardNoir and freefall like this.
  2. bayport

bayport Senior Refuge Member

3. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Front LED-Trolling Motor Bracket.jpg

4. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

Point well made.

Too much light can be just as detrimental to your hunt as too little.

For more that six-decades of waterfowling I've hunted all over the U.S. with a 20k cp flashlight or less, of artificial light.

Most recently within a South La. marsh with early-morning fog so thick it coated your glasses - I used a small LED held below the gunnel (and a handheld GPS) to navigate our way to the blind, as the bow-mounted gang of LEDs created only a white glow in your face! Vertigo is a real problem in a fog with too much light.

Under ideal conditions - cold & clear - a head-mounted LED will shine where you're looking, and you won't need artificial lighting that can put the sun to shame. BUT - just like duck & goose blinds - less is generally a better option even when you have the onboard music system too loud.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  5. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

Good idea - until the fog rolls in...then you could get a touch of vertigo in the within the decoy spread.

6. scubaknight

scubaknight New Member

7. scubaknight

scubaknight New Member

This is what I add to my gobee light so I didn't have to add more holes in my boat. Gave me more side light to watch out for stuff.