Using dual gas tanks

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by jangle, Dec 18, 2017.

1. jangle

jangle Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys, I am wanting to put two portable 6 gallon gas tanks under the front deck of my boat. I'm currently running one under the front deck and have room for a second that I would like to use as a backup... Bad experience this weekend... So what is the best way to run two tanks? I am wanting both tanks to run to a main line that runs back to the motor, should I run a valve? Or can I run both tanks to one line with a t?

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

That extra connection is just something else to fail. I would manually pull the connection from one tank and insert into the secondary. That's me, I'm by no means an expert.

3. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

This is what we did. Less connections to have an issue with.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

You can run both tanks going to a direction valve, but not a T because the engine will draw air from the tank that goes dry first.

You can also run the tanks in a series with the furthest tank vented and closest tank unvented.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

My first choice would be to manually unplug the fuel line from one tank and plug it into the second tank. KISS, ya' know.
    Second choice would be to Tee the lines from each tank into the main line, with valves on each of the tank's lines between the tank and the Tee.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Get a bigger tank or carry a jerry can.

7. Major Woods

Major Woods Elite Refuge Member

Replace with a 12gal tank, that's what I did.

8. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I would go with two separate tanks and lines, water contaminated gas is the cause of a lot of outboard problems, so totally separate fuel delivery is, IMHO, the best way to go. More valves, tee's, etc, is just more things to go wrong.

9. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

if they are side by side , then the easiest way is to just pull the connection and put it on the other tank. I ran 2 9 gallon tanks under the deck but accessable via a hatch door... so they were pulled to refill, I ran a fuel line from each to a diverter valve under the dash as I got low on one tank I could just throw the lever and now im pulling from the second tank.......it never failed....more work to set up........but easier time after time later on

10. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

This would be the best,no quick connects on tanks just barb fittings, no chance of a air leak.