V board silhouettes

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by ArmChair Biologist, Sep 15, 2017.

1. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Hey guys,

I'm buying enough V boards for 6 dozen silhouettes and I'm going to make my own silhouettes. I'm going with black and white honkers. I've already made a bunch with stakes out of coroplast and they've held up well.

Have any of you used V boards with coroplast decoys and if you have, how have they held up? I wouldn't mind replacing a couple every few years if they break but if it's an every year thing I'd go with plywood instead. I'm going to be walking in to spots with a couple dozen of these so I'd like to keep the weight down.

2. jolle

jolle Senior Refuge Member

I made some from coroplast a while back and don't use them that often. I don't think there's any secrets especially if you're used to coroplast. Long necks and pointy tails are the things that bend easily if you bang things around. I tend to make shorter necks for that reason, but they've held up fine through boat trips and such for a few years.

3. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I used chloroplast silos on boards for a while. I liked the "grain" to be going horizontal, and to support the necks I just drove a piece of stiff 1/8 wire down thru the neck. I could never get paint to stick on it though, so I abandoned them and went to 3/16 or 1/4 Luann silos.

4. GOOSESMACKER

GOOSESMACKER Senior Refuge Member

To resolve the problem you speak of, I lightly rubbed down the coroplas with light weight sandpaper. I use spray paint made for Plastic furniture.

I'm going on 4 years with no problems.

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

^^^ this
    Then wipe them with acetone and paint.

6. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Awesome, thanks!

Do any of you have a good source of chloroplast sheets? The last stuff I used was found in a neighbors barn, he thought he got it as scrap material from his employer. It was about 3/16" thick.

I'm needing some more silos myself but haven't been thrilled with the Luann. Black and whites would be fine to double my spread.

7. ArmChair Biologist

I've done allot of research in the past year for coroplast. I made my first 65 silos out of scrap material from my buddy's sign business. From what I've found, you can get a decent deal from a wholesaler if you buy ten sheets, but you need to be able to pick them up from the factory. The only factory near me sold them for 18 bucks a sheet if you bought ten sheets. Home depot sells them for approx. $15.50 a sheet and it's honestly the best price I've found. This is for 4mm 4x8 sheets. If you're making goose silo's you can get anywhere from 12-20 decoys a sheet depending on size and shape.

8. Billy Bob

Have you found anything thicker than 4mm? That is more like the thickness of election signs and not nearly as durable as the thicker scraps I have used.

Edit: I just found the good stuff and it's $163 to $179 for 3 48"x96" sheets. I'll keep searching for scraps.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  9. ArmChair Biologist

That's the thickest I've found that's reasonably priced. I believe election signs are the 3mm variety, so it's slightly thicker. It's not the most durable but that's the thickness of my B&W silo's and I've had them for 5 years. They've held up relatively well so far.

10. Billy Bob

The stuff I use is 7mm IIRC. Very tough, I would almost have to be trying to damage them for them to bend. It's hard to find but very worth the effort, enough that I am considering the $50+ per sheet option. I have made pintail field silos with it and the tails don't bend if I run the material horizontal and the brant I have on Y boards are still bend free after several years. I highly recommend trying some if you can find it at a decent price or find scraps. The other option I'm looking for is the type Divebomb silos are made with.