V board silhouettes

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by ArmChair Biologist, Sep 15, 2017.

1. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

That's damn expensive...I wonder if there's a happy medium like 5mm or 6mm that's tougher then 4mm but not as much money as 7mm. I'll have to measure my current silo's. They might even be 3mm. There's a few heads up decoys that the head has bent on the neck, but if I would have made a more "active" type heads up with shorter fatter necks they would be fine. Definitely not super durable, but I got the coroplast for free so I can't complain.

What type of coroplast are the dive bombs made with? I've been looking at those decoys for awhile now but I've never seen one in person. Are they super tough material? The price is definitely right on them and I wouldn't mind picking up 5 dozen if they are durable.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It is very tough material. About as thick as an election sign but super rigid, tough as the 7mm stuff I used. I would say 75% of real geese. It took about 2 hunts before I left my realgeese at home because the divebombs are so much lighter and you can fit a lot more in a silo bag. 2-3 divebombs in the space of 1 RG silo because they don't have that stupid bend caused by the stake that realgeese silos have.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  3. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

The divebombs are 4mm, and they are stiff. Very stiff. The flutes run vertical so that helps prevent bent necks.

I ordered some 4mm coroplast brand sheets and they'll be here tomorrow. I'm adding 60 black and whites to 45 full color silos on vboards already in use.

I used 6mm coroplast in the past and had trouble with them bending. I don't think they were coroplast brand though. We'll see.

4. Duckshooter101

Duckshooter101 Refuge Member

I use 1/4 " in flat black, I get from a plastic supply place for under $20 a sheet. I've got 4doz coots and B&W geese that I switch out on Y boards.

5. ArmChair Biologist

That's real cheap for 6mm coroplast. I haven't been able to find anything for that price. How do you like the black coroplast? I've thought of ordering the straight black so I would only have to paint the white patches but I wasn't sure if the black coroplast would be dark enough/have too much glare.

6. ArmChair Biologist

That sounds like a damn good spread! I'm looking forward to running a bunch of B&W's on the water. I've already been setting up a bunch of diver decoys when targeting geese on water to get that black and white out there and I've pulled geese from a long distance. My field spread is currently 60% B&W and it's a dream for running traffic. Let me know what you think about that 4mm. I'll be making plenty more silo's for field and v-board use in the future.

7. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Interesting thread. I've been considering going to a silo/sock spread with the ability to make Y boards to boost a water spread for geese. Been giving the dive bombs a hard look.

As far as keeping the shine off of homemade silos has any done or considered doing a light restle coat to them? Might defeat the weight issue but just a thought.

8. ArmChair Biologist

I never tried it. However I've shot plenty of geese over homemade silo's when they are glaring pretty hard. I've had days when they don't seem to like it, but most of the time they still come in. Perhaps the different angle from the air is reducing the glare to the birds.

I sold most of my fullbodys and have almost an entirely silo/sock spread. The only drawback is hunting over frozen ground. If you have sillosocks you can usually get those stakes in the ground without too much effort but if you have socks with fiberglass stakes you're out of luck. Real geese are also a no go in frozen ground unless you use a slide hammer or a drill. At that point you're doing more work then just using fullbodys. That's something to keep in mind before you go full on silo/sock. Otherwise I can set up my spread of 200 decoys by myself in half an hour, and two people can walk it in to a spot in one trip, it's pretty nice.

9. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

I got the coroplast today. I'm not very impressed. It's soft, flimsy, and too shiny. So I'll have to paint it, which is what I was trying to avoid by going blacks and whites.

I don't know if I'll use it or not. I cut two out and I don't believe they will last a hunt due to bent necks and tails, especially considering the clumsy fools I am blessed to hunt with. LOL.

I've gotta get silos made outta soumenthing. I've got 20 vboards that need decoys.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have a doz Sittn Geese boards. 3 dekes per board, so 36 RG silos. I will never try to put a stake in frozen ground again. I mix in about 18 old GnH shells I got from my Father. No problem pulling birds, and VERY easy to set out.
    Hunting alone, 12 boards is about all a guy can handle. Gets a little bulky.