vacation help

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by dragon1681, May 22, 2011.

1. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

My wife and I will be visiting your state at the end of Sept. We both are into visiting the National Parks and plan on doing a few days at Rocky Mountain NP before heading into Utah to see a few parks there. We plan to see Arches NP, Canyonlands NP,Capitol Reef NP in Utah, then head over to see Mesa Verda NP, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, and if time allows Great Sand Dunes Np back in Colorado. My question is, if there is anythings in those areas that you guys think is a definetly a do not miss place. Any recomendations will be appreaciated.

Tom L

2. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

The elk are pretty tame in RMNP. I always enjoy seeing them. Estes is a tourist trap.

Black Canyon is quick and easy to drive through. A guy I work with was there and another motorist was gawking at the canyon instead of watching the road. They collided and darn near pushed my co-workers vehicle off the edge and down into the canyon.

I enjoyed Arches. It's worth seeing.

Mesa Verde is cool, especially the story of how it was re-discovered.

3. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

The drive through Utah on I-70 very nice as well the drive from one park to another. The parks you mention are all worth a visit though Zion is my favorite park in Utah hands down. Being that close I would make sure I saw it. Another couple if you have the time is Monument Valley and Canyon De Chelly. If it was me I would make sure Rocky Mtn, Zion, Mesa Verde and Monument Valley was on my list.

4. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks alot, have been to Zion and Monument Valley before and agree both are beautiful. Will look into Canyon De Chelly though as I have never heard of it. Thanks alot for the info.

Tom L

5. duckslyr

duckslyr Elite Refuge Member

I'll also be in Denver between next Wednesday through Saturday. Any suggestions on things for my wife and I to do in and around the area??? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide :tu

6. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

This might be late but Mt Evans is worth a drive. Lodo for night life.