vacation help.

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by dragon1681, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys,

My wife and I will be heading up to Alaska next July for vacation. Only thing I have booked so far is 2 days in Katmai Np. I have been to Alaska 4 times but always in Dec. or Jan. for hunting. I hear that it gets pretty busy in July. My question is about how long of a drive is it from Anchorage to Denali Np entrance. I hear most hotels and lodges book up in advance so trying to plan where to stay as I can figure out where I am going to be. I plan on spending a few days in Denali then heading down to the Kenai to do the tourist thing. Any must do things would also be apreaciated.

Tom

2. waldo2382

waldo2382 Refuge Member

Well, it will be A LOT different than December or January. The parade of RV's and people towing boats is the main craziness on the roads. To Denali is about 250 miles or so and about a 4 hour drive. Talkeetna is a cool place to stop for burger at the Roadhouse. One way to get up to Denali is to take the train, but takes longer and I've seen more critters off the road. You can probably get away with making reservations a month or so in advance.
    Heading down to Kenai, you can swing by Seward and do some saltwater fishing or a Glacier cruise. The Sealife Center is pretty cool too. Swinging back around to Kenai, hopefully mid July for some epic red (sockeye fishing.) Maybe there will be some kings around next year. Homer is about 80 miles past Kenai/Soldotna and is a quaint town on the coast for more saltwater fishing if you haven't had your fill of halibut.

3. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Hey Tom, my wife works at the front desk of the Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge during the summer, it's about an hour from talkeetna, she gets to do a lot of the tours they offer from the lodge, the one she really enjoys and has been on twice is Mahays jet boat tours, http://mahaysriverboat.com/ They are out of talkeetna, she also likes the train ride, but like has been mentioned, didn't see any wildlife. Her lodge is a ways from the park entrance and is in view of the mountain if you are lucky enough to have clear weather which doesn't seem to happen all that much, there is another princess lodge at the park entrance. I've been into the park twice and it was a wonderful trip with lots of wildlife. I know a lot of hotel rooms are booked long in advance. The lodge Connie works at has 460 rooms and is most always close to capacity. The sooner you get reservations, the better when you get up to lodging near the park.

4. Tundradux

Tundradux Senior Refuge Member

Great advice from both of the above posters. The Devils canyon trip is a must do!

5. MrsQuackerduck

MrsQuackerduck Senior Refuge Member

Tom, if you are planning a 2-3 week vacation you'll have enough time for all of that but John & I got into Anchorage last Tuesday, ran down to Homer back up to Seward then to Whittier lots of driving not much to look at unless you book a fishing trip on the Kenai. From Whittier we took the ferry to Valdez and on Wednesday we'll drive 306 miles back to Anchorge.

Now if your renting a RV you'll have a ton of places to stay.

6. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks,

Hope you two are having a blast. As of now planing about 2 1/2 weeks. Has been changed to the 1st thru 16th of sept. First three days are in Denali Denali cabins, can't reserve them until Oct. Then drive down to Anchorage and fly out to Katmai Np for three days. Then back to Anchorage and spend the rest of the trip just tooling around down on the Kenai Peninsula doing the toruist stuff and hitting a day trip to Kenai Forjds Np.

7. quackerduck

quackerduck Senior Refuge Member

Tom, Since ths salmon were not in Valdez this Sept when we were there. Tim is letting us come fish again for 2 days FREE.:clap:clap:clap