Varmint gun and rounds

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by bwurts, Dec 6, 2007.

1. swamp hunter

swamp hunter Senior Refuge Member

a 223 is a very good choice
    ammo is easy to find
    easy to shoot
    not very pricey
    good luck

2. quackwacker1

quackwacker1 Senior Refuge Member

Remington Model 700 SPS 22-250 with bull barell. My partner shoots an AR but when they lay up he calls for my deadly accurate assistance. Put 'em on the ground, I love it

3. wingman

wingman Senior Refuge Member

i have a few varmint rifles, .204, .223, .22-250, .243 and hands down by far my favorite dog gun is the .22-250. flat puts 'em in their tracks with no hold over out to 300 yards. i shoot a 50 grain pill however my 260 has a 1 in 14 twist and won't really handle anything heavier than a 55 grain pill before opening up. i shoot the v-max which is extremely accurate but can have a lot of splash factor on a dog if you hit a shoulder bone.

4. fire-duck

fire-duck Senior Refuge Member

I would have to agree---Rem 700 22-250. Mine has a Leupold VXll 6-16x40. I have been very happy with the accuray!!!

5. Sota Smith

Sota Smith Senior Refuge Member

For me--ARs all the way.

I have a Bushmaster Varminter 22inch fluted barrel, Harris BiPod and 50mm Nikon Monarch Gold scope...This is my go-to rigs, but is heavy on long hump-ins though...

My second AR is also a Bushmaster, with 14inch barrel, no bipod, just a sling for sets involving alot of walking, or snow--it is light and accurate.

My choice in ammo is Black Hills semi-jacketed hollowpoints in 55 grain.

My amigo and huntin' partner, Woodrow, uses a Model 700 with Luepold--his rig is also a tackdriver, I just prefer the AR platform.

6. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I haven't lugged my .22-250 around since I got my AR.

Black Hills Blue Box 52 gr V Max seems to roll them quite nicely when they are ahead of the dogs. The one I shot today I hit in the spine so it would have taken some stitching to look good.

But, it was a small female that I don't know how it was alive because most of the lower jaw was gone and healed. It couldn't even bite the dogs and one dog layed on it. That was too weird....

The other one we got today was .223 FMJ and I have never seen such a blood trail in the snow for the 30 yards it ran until the guy put him down for good. I never looked at the holes because we knew we were running a manged up male and while he was really big bodied, only his head and track looked big because he was lacking wool.

7. Sota Smith

Sota Smith Senior Refuge Member

lwingwatcher,

So you use dogs on coyotes for running, or just tracking? Interesting. How do you use dogs (maybe you don't)? I do mainly decoy sets, or stalk and call sets, but never have used dogs...

8. Quackerstacker17

Quackerstacker17 New Member

Remington M700 .17 Fireball in the head.:grvn Can't beat it.

Top it all off with a Leupold scope.:yes

9. quackstopper

quackstopper Senior Refuge Member

If you want a bolt gun, I would have to vote for the Savage, my preference in a bolt gun is 22-250. I prefer high quality varmint bullets over fmj's pushed at really high speeds. They leave small holes going in and explode inside, seldomly ever exiting.

I also like and currently use a black rifle for yotes. The Bushmaster Predator Hunter is excellent gun. I prefer Black Hills 69 gr, you can reach out and touch them real well with that load. They work really well out of a 1 in 8 barrel.

10. A5 Junkie

A5 Junkie Senior Refuge Member

Kobe
    I'm looking at getting this exact rifle you have in the .223 caliber. Presently I shoot an H-S Precision varmint in .220 Swift but I like to do a "switch a roonie" occasionally to keep it interesting. I am really impressed w/the savage bolt design by allowing the lugs to contact evenly and the button barrels. I was a bit concerned about the barrel length if a 22-250 were to be entertained. I'm sure minimal velocity loss would be incurred but the bench rest shooter in me always opts for length and complete powder burn. Have you had time to work up a load for it yet? I would have every intention of shooting a 52 grain sierra matchking. So, with that being said have you measured any groups from it yet at say 100yds? Does the barrel clean easy and how many shots did it take to break it in?