Varmint gun and rounds

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by bwurts, Dec 6, 2007.

1. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

We run them. The other day was a little tricky because early AM snow covered all the tracks so we walked the dogs through one mile and didn't cut a track. The next one south we cut two tracks and got them both up.

I shot the first one that the dogs were running at about a 100 yards. I was a little concerned with my lead but when I saw the endo in the scope, I figured good enough. Then after the dogs caught up and got a mouthful, one of the guys took them to another track and turned them out.

That chase ended up in the next section to the west so, it was a fairly easy day.

The female I got was a small one, this years probably but, the weird part was that it was missing most of its lower jaw which had healed but, it couldn't even bite the dogs. The other one was a huge male but, was all manged up so we left that one lay. We are hoping that the one dog that was running it at the time that got turned on doesn't get the mange from dancing with the song dog. We shall see....

2. MagTen

MagTen Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a Rem 700 VSSF in .204 Ruger with Hornaday 32 grain factory load - no exit wound.

MagTen

3. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

And 4 out of 5 LOVE 36 grs. of H-380 underneath a Speer 52 gr. hollow point. I don't think even 1 exit wound in 25 years of coyote hunting.

4. bustndux

bustndux Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a Bushmaster Varmiter for all my vermon needs....but saying they are better than a bolt gun...I don't know about that. For follow up shots for sure. But all round being better? Probably a personal preference thing. My Bushy is a tack driver for sure..but I've seen some purty darn accurate bolt varmint guns!

I can tell ya from personal experience....if your gonna shoot prairie dogs and your shootin a AR and your buddy is shooting a 700 VLS....you get to sling a whole lot more lead at em! You can clean up a prairie dog town pretty quick with a 30 rnd. mag!:dv :dv

5. Tako

Tako Banned

Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 22-250 would be hard to beat.

22-250 is WAY cooler than 223 to boot :cool:

6. mike2355

mike2355 Elite Refuge Member

guys would a .22 be enough for a coyote or fox? I just got one from my uncle which used to be my grandpas. Its a winchester model 190 .22, i know i should use something better. But what kind of range could you get a coyote at with one? I still have yet to shoot it since i have to clean it out, but im hoping to practice with it soon

7. Humvee

Humvee Senior Refuge Member

Look through some of the other threads on here...I'm sure you'll find the answer that you probably don't want to hear.:no I would recommend cleaning it up, shooting it, and knowing you have a great little family heirloom. :tu

Then again, if you want to borrow my Mojo Mallard Floater you could probably get them close enough!:yes

8. Tako

Tako Banned

Simple answer

Coyote: NO

Fox: YES

join up PHC

9. mike2355

mike2355 Elite Refuge Member

sounds good guys. I know they are good for bunnies and stuff. Ill just have to get them in close enough with a shotgun or something. we'll see. If i get into it enough, ill buy a 22-250

10. duramaxnay6

duramaxnay6 Refuge Member

That is extremely dangerous as well is inhumane. Risking ricochets as well as not killing the animal quickly shows how much of a true sportsman you are. I rarely have fur damage with my 50gr v-max. You get a DRT and you don't have to worry about ricochets. I shoot this thru my Savage model 10fp .223