vegetation question for fix blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by NWiowaCutinGreen, Sep 20, 2011.

1. NWiowaCutinGreen

NWiowaCutinGreen New Member

Hey guys. I've got a duck boat in cedar rapids Iowa that I'm looking to grass. I have a fixed blind on an 18' Jon boat. I have a metal wire mesh on the outside of the boat to stick grass and tumble weed into. What grass is most commonly used on the bigger fixed blinds. Ill be putting some miles on this rig so durability is an issue. Is there a name to a type of grass I should use? Any methods to cutting, drying, or preserving the grass? And where is this most commonly found?

-NW

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Have you considered raffia?

3. NWiowaCutinGreen

NWiowaCutinGreen New Member

I'm thinking tumble weed and ditch grass. How does that hold up when traveling?

I've seen grass on boats before that looks like the bottom of old traditional brooms. It's really stiff and durable. Anyone know what that stuff might be?

Thanks!

4. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

natural grass on wire will not stand up to driving unless you tarp over the blind while driving. My suggestion is to use the camo systems netting you get from Vermont Barre and then tie stuff all over it, roll it up while driving then unroll on the blind when you get to your spot.