vehicle scheduled maintenance?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Shirleyshusband, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

Do you guys do the recommended vehicle scheduled maintenance work?

My diesel F350 has about 110,000 miles on it. I took it in for an oil change as I do every 10,000 miles (or less if I did a lot of towing). They came out with a sheet full of "recommended" maintenance items, totaling $664. I use the truck mostly for towing our fifth wheel.

Transmission flush 257
    Power steering service (probably flush) 108
    Transfer case lube change 85
    Service front and rear differentials 151
    Fuel additive 28

I've been doing the recommended service stuff but I'm starting to wonder. I admit, it gives me some piece of mind knowing it's well taken care of, but I'm starting to doubt myself. When I was younger, I changed my oil and put gas in. Later in life I had more money so I started doing the recommended service items. I really don't know if it's made a difference in the long run...

So what do you guys do?

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

If you've never done anything on that list, I'd have it done. That's a lot of miles.

I'd try to find a cheaper place though.

I usually don't pay any attention to the recommendations of the quick lube folks.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I tend to maintain my vehicle better than most and have gotten a lot of mileage out of everything I've owned, but I have never followed the maintenance schedule. Actually don't know that I know anyone that does. If you really follow it to a T most are pretty rigorous. I general do most things on the list, just not when specified.

That said I imagine you could really get some service out of a vehicle if you did!

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I pretty much go by the manual with the exception of tranny flushes.
    I was always taught not to flush the tranny on a higher mileage vehicle unless you were prepared to do a rebuild if necessary.

I know many people will highly disagree with that, but the few times when i have gone with recommended intervals, I've had tranny issues. Could just be bad luck and one person's experience counts for nothing. But I'm in no hurry to flush the tranny.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Those were all standard and very important services.

6. Shot Caller

Shot Caller Senior Refuge Member

Fuel additive $28. Wow. I hope they give you the whole bottle not just one tanks worth.

7. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

I have been doing them all up to now. Did the tranny flush at 50,000...

Yeah, I asked about the fuel additive he said it's a one time thing to help clean the injectors.

I'd like to get another 100,000 out of it. Probably best to just bite the bullet.

I guess I'm just remembering back when I'd buy some oil and a filter, change it myself and keep on running... 30 years ago. Then again, if you didn't change plugs points and condenser every fall, you weren't going to grandmas for Christmas!:l

8. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

Power steering service sounds odd but the rest is normal. I do my own oil, transfer case and 6 speed fluild change on my Diesel F250.

9. bigmike66

bigmike66 Senior Refuge Member

You can easily do diffs and t case yourself. Very easy. My wife can dump a bottle of additive in the fuel tank and drive. Power steering not that tough. trans, need the machine to do a total fluid exchange. Just dropping pan doesn't change all the fluid. Most is still in the torque converter. Off you had a flush done at 50k I'd think you'd be safe to do it again. Make sure they drop pan and change filter also.

10. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

I follow the recommended maintenance schedules pretty closely, because I drive my cars 'til they drop; I got over 250,000 miles with my old Bronco II, over 230,000 miles with my Ford van, and 110,000 on my last Explorer (was struck by lightning & totaled!). My current car & Explorer have over 125 K on each and I expect to get at least 200,000 miles from each. You won't get this if you don't spend some money on maintenance.