vehicle scheduled maintenance?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Shirleyshusband, Dec 18, 2014.

1. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

I've had several mechanics say to me over the many years that to extend the life of a vehicle you need to address the fluids as they do wear out.

Fuel additive -- for Pete's sake, that is a bottle of Seafoam that costs $7, do it yourself. It should be done every 10K miles.

I have to agree about the tranny flush, just empty the oil and pan (where you can see if any metal is at the bottom) and add new VS doing a "flush".

You can do a PS flush yourself, buy a bottle of PS reconditioner, and empty the fluid and refill with new.

So what does servicing the differentials really mean? Topping them off? Or draining them and refill with new fluid?

No opinion on the transfer lube.

Oil changes--I assume you are using synthetic if going 10k, but what about the oil filter? Many are only good for 5k and need to be replaced every 5k. Some totally miss this.

Another thing over looked is chassis lube. That needs to be done every 10k too (ball joints, u joints, etc).

SAVE all your records with receipts and place into a file for that vehicle. (Each vehicle should have it own file.) When it comes time to sell - you can prove that you did the service work, and thus get more $ on resale. There is a fair amount of peace of mind for potential buyers who are wondering is anything was ever done VS done as scheduled and are willing to pay more for it as a result.

And as mentioned already you should get a lot more life out of your vehicle if the fluids are indeed changed on a regular basis.

Look for a good mechanic that does side jobs on the weekends that charges say $30-50 an hr VS the $90-120 that a full service shop does. Have him do the things that are above your skill set and cut the bill by over a 1/3 if not by 1/2.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

When new vehicles were a part of my life:nutz .
    Part of the deal, all lubes were changed at 2,000-4,000 miles.
    A working truck will keep working a lot longer following the maintenance guidelines
    A 79 F-150 I had the second owner had 387K before he did any engine work
    The 85 Ranger the last time I saw it had 350K
    72 Bronco ended its life in a rollover at 190K
    A neighbor who owns a lube shop; 490K on his 97 GMC pickup

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I have always heard this about transmission fluid as well. I would like to hear more opinions on this.

2002 Z71, 205k, never has trans fluid flushed. Good or bad idea to do it?

4. WWR

WWR Elite Refuge Member

I have also heard that after a tranny flush, you better be prepared for the tranny to go out.

If you get over 200,000 miles out of a transmission, I wouldn't worry about having to replace the transmission. Nor would I service it at this point. That's a long life out of a transmission. We're lucky to get 70,000-80,000 miles out of a transmission in one of our patrol cars.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Adding a good tranny cooler early in a vehicles life will generally add some life to it's tranny. Heat is the killer of an automatic transmission.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

In a nutshell your talking about $629 worth of maintenance/fluid changes on a vehicle that has given you what sounds like 110,000 miles of good service.
    Cheap insurance these days and not out of line with the mileage you have on the vehicle.
    With new F 350's going as high as $70,000 I'd do everything I could to keep the one you have running well.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I saw a 1 ton Chevy on the lot , sure it had a lift kit and fancy wheels and tires.
    BUT the saking price was $79,000.
    Now that is just insane !:eek::eek::eek::yes
    You can buy a home in some states for just a little more money.
    Things have got way out of touch for the blue coller working man.:mad:

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Your about right on that.
    IMHO the diesel engines are great but most guys could get by with a gas engine unless they have a specific need for the diesel. Years ago when they didn't even offer diesel engines in most pickups everybody did fine with a gas engine, true the gas mileage wasn't there, but for 10K or more extra for the diesel is it really worth it???
    Your not gonna make up the difference price wise with the price of diesel being much higher than gas in most places, and most gas engines if you take care of them will last 200,000 miles these days.
    Couldn't justify it when I bought my F-250 new and saved 10,000 over a diesel truck, gas engine does just fine for me and what little towing I do.

9. bigmike66

bigmike66 Senior Refuge Member

To the earlier post who asked what a differential service is, you simply remove the bolts around the perimeter of the diff cover, remove cover, old gear lube drains out. While it's draining, which takes a bit as its very thick, remove all the old gasket from the cover and diff housing with a scraper and a little elbow grease. Put a bead of rtv silicone around the perimeter of cover going completely around each bolt hole, reinstall cover, remove the fill plug from cover, and fill to just below fill hole with recommended gear lube. If you have limited slip differential, first add a bottle of friction modifier then fill with oil. You want to put pinky finger in thehole to the first knuckle, bend down, if the tip of finger gets wet, it's full. Transfer case should have a drain plug and fill plug. Simply remove lower plug to drain and fill through upper plug with proper fluid to just below hole.

10. DRC

DRC Elite Refuge Member

Just to add to this , make sure you can remove the fill plug before draining.....