vehicle scheduled maintenance?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Shirleyshusband, Dec 18, 2014.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

The blue collar working man should be smart enough to know he has no need for an $80k pickup.:nutz

Used is the way to go anyway.

2. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

I've read that it's more important to change the transmission fluid than the filter. One less expensive way to do this (from Family Handyman magazine) is to suck all of the fluid you can from the transmission using an oil sucker. Add new fluid to capacity. Then, run the car for several day and do it again. After about three times you've changed almost all of the fluid. This seems a lot easier than dropping the pan.

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Diesels especially need schedulled maint. It is not as easy as the old days since many of the new cooling systems and transmission require fluids to be flushed by a machine. I have spoke to a number of ford mechanics "off the record" when I had my Super Duty and they agreed the the machine flushes were a good idea.

4. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

I specifically asked about the tranny flush as the quote did not include a filter. He said they monitor the pressure during the flush. If it's high they will call and recommend filter replacement. He said most of the time the fliter is okay. This is at a Ford dealership.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If your F 350 is a 6.0 Powerstroke it will need all the preventative maint. possible.
    Many of those engines are ticking time bombs. I know from first hand experience.

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

So much for getting a new truck every 5 to 7 years.:eek::eek::eek::l