Vests

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by dakndug, Feb 16, 2016.

1. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Whatta ya using why do you like it or not? For those looking, here are some articles that compare some. I have a 15 yr old cabelas vest. It's wore out and I'm looking too. I liked it because it had round zippered pockets that fit my slate and glass calls perfectly with their tupperware containers on them. So they were always protected. It was missing an easy way to carry water, and a better seat. I carry @6 or 7 diff strikers, and would like more individual storage areas for that also. Interested in hearing what you all like/dislike and suggestions. I swear in retirement I'm gonna design on from a hunters persective! :)

Here are some articles to help ya!

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/gear-accessories/gear-hunting/best-new-turkey-vests-spring-2015/

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/7-best-turkey-hunting-vests/

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/strut-zone/2014/03/gear-review-5-new-turkey-vests-spring-2014

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

My Cabelas mesh turkey vest is older but holding up remarkably well. I notice they don't sell the mesh one anymore so I am taking good care of it! We have hot weather mostly so it is a Godsend...plenty of pockets and I put my plastic canteen in the bird pouch. I am actually trying to reduce the number of items in my vest to reduce weight, and take only the essentials...I've found calling sparingly to work best so only a couple of pot calls, mouth calls, and one box are plenty. Along with a small folding chair and the gun w/sling, it is plenty. I figure it might be a good idea to get a small fanny pack to tote and perhaps more readily get some essentials. I am actually thinking of toting my 20 gauge instead of the 12 gauge to reduce weight...majority of my shots have been well inside of 30 yards so the 20 is sufficient I reckon!

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I use a field & stream I got from Dick's on clearance for $14 (I think). Has a thick butt cushion, only reason I bought it. It holds all I need. 3 strikers, slate, box, many diaphragms, water, poop tickets, etc, etc, etc.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I thought California was over-regulated... You guys need tickets to poop?

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Wet wipes are a must.

6. Squaller

My biggest issue is that apparently most turkey hunters are rotund giants... I am a small guy at 5'7" and 150 lbs... One size fits all is NOT true at all.

I would be all with you on designing a new vest.
    • Zippered pockets (as snaps and velcro have caused me to lose a few items).
    • Water-proof pockets (so that morning dew or unforeseen rain does not ruin a good box call).
    • Compartmentalized pockets for easy organization.
    • Shell loops (so they do not rattle around and bang into stuff).
    • I would love to see two box-call holders, but one is a must. Horizontally positioned, in a convenient position. (I purchased a vest last year that I gave away, due to the box-call holder being positioned vertically right in my crotch).
    • NO dam clip (for strap adjustment) right on the shoulder where the gun mounts.
    • Magnetic seat, easily removed from the vest.
    • Cell phone pocket, easily accessible and waterproof.
    • Magnetic, easily accessible pocket for binoculars, with small clip to attach cord to.
    Zippered game bag.

7. stevena198301

No doubt! I'm 5'10" 160-170 lbs and every one I have ever tried on swallows me whole. Same with waders too. I went with Macks Big Jrs for waders, but I can't find a better fitted vest. Did see that a company (maybe ALPZ outdoors) has made a new style vest with a removable chair built into it. May want to check it out and see if it has more of what you want.

8. stevena198301

Gotta have tickets to poop no matter what state I'm in.

9. Squaller

Just tried on a vest I really like at the local Sportsman's Wherehouse...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ctDetail/Mens-Vests/prod99999030545/cat125711

The straps make it surprisingly adjustable, and I can adjust for vertical as well as horizontal size... Only problem is that I foresee the magnetic seat being an issue, especially if I am fortunate enough to put a bird in the game bag.

As it is priced at $100 at my local store (I believe a mistake on their part), and I am thinkin' I might just pick it up...

10. stevena198301

The I-Beam has been out for several years (this may be an improved model, unsure), but you may have found a NOS one that is on clearance. Decent vest, as far as I know. I'd jump on it, if I needed one.