Vests

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by dakndug, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Apparently not quite the same vest as the link I posted... Same name, different vest thought.:scratch

Took a good look at this vest before purchasing it, and realized that the game bag was way too small... I might be able to fit a turkey in there, but it would be rough getting it in and out, and very uncomfortable carrying it.

My favorite place to hunt is a steep canyon, and the last bird I killed was almost 2 miles from the car... Slingin' a bird over my shoulder for that long and steep walk back is not a good option at all, and hunting steep country with long walks is the main reason I want a vest over a bag...

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I favor the vest too; it is mostly flat here, muddy sloughs, pine woods, palmetto scrub.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Think there are several I-Beam configs. Kinda like the Cabelas "Tat'r" series.

4. stevena198301

A vest is a must. Only thing that can carry all the crap we don't need, that we think we do, and keep it organized.

Season started yesterday here, and it was a bust. Heard one gobbling on the next property over. Workers decided yesterday morning about the time toms break from the hens was the perfect time to come down the road right of way and shred brush. Not much going on. Left the private land and went public by 1030. Hunted there two hours for one of the new banded turkeys at a local WMA. No love. Oh well... theres always this weekend...

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I am on vacation beginning tomorrow! Love the weekdays! Usually by this time, prescribed burns are complete, not so this year, I fear they may do it soon. A turkey band would be tremendous! Duck bands are a rarity down here, I am lucky to have five in thirty five years of waterfowling. Have DSD decoy, will travel!

6. stevena198301

Turkeys like the deep fried bugs too.

7. Squaller

Just ordered the Tat'r-II vest on sale... Supposed to be here Thursday. If I do NOT like it, you WILL be hearing from me.:nutz

8. Squaller

Just got the Tat'r-II in the mail... Well designed vest for the sale price currently.

I wish the seat was magnetic, and that it had a couple of shell loops in it.

I got the small/medium size. I wear a size medium or even large shirt, and this vest is still a bit large on (i.e. width). I like my turkey vest to be snug (not tight) so that when I walk, the vest and the stuff inside does not shake and rattle around.

Looks like the game bag will hold a turkey, although it will fill the game bag.

I suppose I will see how I like it, but from what I have seen in my size, and for the price, I would likely make the purchase again.

9. stevena198301

So you're not gonna be mailing it to me for free? :nutz

10. Squaller

Not at this time... Are you one of those guys that keeps trying to wash my windshield???