Vests

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by dakndug, Feb 16, 2016.

1. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

I have an old Mossy Oak turkey vest I been using since the late 80's. The feature I really like is the pocket on the inside of the vest between the shoulder blades. It is just like a rear pocket on a pair of jeans. I put a nice piece of foam padding in it. That pocket and cushion is very comfortable for sitting against a tree. I won't hunt without it.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Not at all! But if you were gonna complain about it, I was willing to bite the bullet and take it.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

You are a giver... (We just won't discuss what it is you are handing out).:nutz

I have now used the Tat'r-2 vest on two hunts. I am really liking the vest (especially compared to my 25 year old poorly designed vest I was making due with).

It is well organized, and the padding on the back is comfortable. I frequently do not use the seat when I hunt cause it can be a pain (on my other vest). But there is a lot of moisture on the ground in the mornings now, and I really like the seat on the Tat'r-2.

The zippers all have loops, so I can attach lanyards to the loops and put them in pockets (i.e. gobble call, diaphragm call cases). The vest comes with a diaphragm tote (on a lanyard already attached to the vest) but it is only a single compartment. I carry a little diaphragm wallet as well, so I put my favorite diaphragms in the Cabela's tote, and a bunch more in my own diaphragm wallet... Both cases easily fit into the pocket designed for the one with the vest.

There are little loops inside the pockets, so I can attach more expensive stuff (such as cameras and binoculars)... That way, if I open a pocket and forget to close it, I do not lose those items.

Also, I like to be mobile, and this vest is very quiet to walk with. I am not interested in the kick-stand or anything too complicated... For the price Cabela's has this vest currently, it is tough to beat I think:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...r-2&x=10&y=6&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

4. H2OFoul

H2OFoul Senior Refuge Member

I use the Bucklick Creek Hi Back Turkey Lounger. I think Redhead is the only place that can sell them now.
    Absolutely the most comfortable vest/seat around. Vest has a built in stadium type seat that supports your back while seated. Don't need a tree to lean against. Really saves your back the pain of sitting long hours.
    Biggest problem is it's so comfortable, I always am falling asleep. Everyone I know now uses one and no
    one would ever use anything else. Pockets and storage are just OK. The back pocket to pack your turkey
    in is huge. I can fit my Doghouse blind into it. The vest is like a pack with good shoulder straps and a chest strap for long hauls. Honest I don't work for them or nothing, but if your back bothers from turkey hunting,
    this is the vest you should look at.

5. Neckband4

Neckband4 Senior Refuge Member

I've used the Tat'r II for several years. I pretty much concur with what Squaller says. My only beef would be that it needs a couple shell loops. It has a couple interior pockets as well. I sometimes forget where I put stuff it has so many pockets. It's a pretty functional vest.

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I was just loading up My Tater2 for tomorrow's opener and was thinking the same thing re shell loops - I think once I get through this weekend I'm going to have some shell loops sewn into one of the mesh inner pockets...

7. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I've had a Limbhanger vest by Russell Outdoors for the last few years. My wife was nice enough to surprise me for an anniversary a couple years back. Unfortunately, I haven't had much use out of it yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...limbhanger-turkey-vest-cotton-polyester-blend

It's very similar to the 'renowned' Dixon vest that people pay upwards of $300+ for (have no idea why). It does not have enough striker sleeves, and no shell loops, but since I put all my strikers on paracord lanyards, I can always stick a few in my shirt pocket where they're safe.

The rear seat on mine has snap buckles on either side, which I don't really like, but at least I'm not fighting snaps like I did on my old one. I like the flip-up/flip-down design of the Tatr II vests better, but this is a nice large cushion and it's not a big deal.

There are four(?) individual pouches inside the near side of the game pocket where you can stick a pair of gloves, extra pot calls, drink bottle, etc. I guess they're about 4"-5" wide and the same deep, so they're just large enough to keep things separated.

If I was looking for a new vest right now I'd probably look at those Cabelas Tatr II vests to start.

Thanks for the links, Doug!

8. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

I ordered a Tatr, but when I got it I sent it back, I do not like the hard shell fronts to these pockets. Always wanted to design
    my own, guess I'll work on that in the off months and get thru with my old vest this year.

9. Smoke68

Smoke68 Refuge Member

10. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Hey, Doug!

I didn't realize the Tatr/Tatr II had hard shell fronts. I'd never looked at them up close, but since you keep your pot calls in tupperware (which I learned to do from you, btw!), what's the difference? Just curious.

If you're not on a Turkey Hunting Pro Staff by now, get on one and design a vest with your name on it!!! You'll become famous... and maybe a little rich too!