Vests

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by dakndug, Feb 16, 2016.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Well, I've used a ton of different vests, ditched them for cushion and bags and chairs rigged up all sorts of ways. Now I'm back to a vest with a chair thingy built in, that my wife got for the birthday. Almost through a full season, and it's a keeper. It's a cabelas tatr with a back rest. Looked at the tenzing one, but can't justify the $....but this vest is comfy, wears light and cool, will haul a load, frees me from tree trunks, and has held up well. More pockets than I'll ever need, but I am liking the molded front ones. I'll hunt it another year, for sure. It's good for loong sits or boogeying around and down. Heckuva lot better than my camoed beach and turkey chairs and bags and previous vests of all sorts, including the bucklick lounger from bass pro, which was a loud mess, IMO.

2. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Woodie the problem to me with the hard shell fronts is that they create another mechanism for making noise, and I just see them getting in the way more than helping. And my calls are protected with the tupperware. The tupperware protects the conditioning so when I set up no additional conditioning (noise) is reqd. If they were loose in a pocket they would need conditioned for the best sound. Its a personal preference thing. I'll make one like I want one and incorporate some form of the kickstand support as I do like that idea. Not much for pro staff crapola!

3. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I run my frictions in Tupperware, and the pockets aren't an issue. They protect my strikers and other stuff, especially for stalks/crawls and slinging gear in vehicles and such. Plenty quiet.

4. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I hear ya'... all good points. The one pot call I keep loose is kept in a flannel bag to protect the surface, but then I'm 1/100th the caller you are so I may not be noticing a difference that may be there. Hell, I still haven't killed my first turkey, but then I'm lucky to get out 1-2times a year, so it may take awhile... AND, my calling just may suck. :l

5. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

ditto- Luv mine:tu

6. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

I'm getting tired of vests falling apart...

$100 vest can hardly survive one season for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I realize you put some mileage on those vests... And granted, I did not get out much this season... But when I did, I put that Tat'r-2 vest through some abuse (briars, barb-wire fences, brush, etc.) Cleaning mine up today, I could probably still send it back for a return as new...

I do not use a pot call, and have heard that there is issue with some pot calls fitting in the little sleeves though... I do know that one of those pot call holders will hold two scratchers, and the striker straps work well for the scratch box strikers as well...