Vexilar vs Zercom

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Wood Duck, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Senior Refuge Member

Im shopping for a flasher for ice fishing and would like any comments on the FL-8SLT vs the Zercom Colorpoint. We got good ice!!

------------------
    Will Hunt For Food

2. pirateclem

pirateclem Senior Refuge Member

Cant really tell you about the zercom but I have had a vexilar for 4 years now. It puts me on more fish period. It is by far the most sensitive sonar unit around. Of course you pay for quality, they dont come cheap. but, I can see my bluegill jig in almost any depth of water. Just watch it lower right down to where the fish are. It is so sensitive it can even pick up fish laying on the bottom. It takes a few trips out to learn how to read it right, because it is so sensitive it can pick up clouds of baitfish near the top of the ice, but you learn. I do
    not go on the ice without it, ever. Another nice feature is the IR. It reduces noise from other sonar units being used in your area so that you cannont get a false reading from them. Nice sonar unit and I suggest one to anybody willing to pay for it. Enjoy the ice fishing.

-p-

3. Krappie

Krappie Senior Refuge Member

I guess all I could do would be reitterate the same thing that Pirateclem had stated about the Vexilar. I was also debating about the two units recently. Which one to by and I've heard from several people that Zercom had some troubles with their transducers and motors in the flasher units. Hummingbird has bought the company so I imagine nothing, but better things are to come for the Zercom.

I bought the Vexilar...proven technology and it sure puts you on the fish. I couldn't imagine ice fishing without one and it helped me catch about twice the number of fish that I did catch. My two brothers and I cleaned up on the gills and crappies. While the guys all around us just sat and stared. All three of us caught our limit of fish, but we threw half of them back since we had more than a enough for a meal. If you buy the Vexilar, you won't be disappointed. Good luck and let us know how you do.

catch ya later,
    Krappie

4. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Senior Refuge Member

I've placed an order for a Vexilar from Bass Pro but its on back order for at least a week so well see how it goes. Doing o.k. on nice gills even with the rough weather.

------------------
    Will Hunt For Food