-Village creek

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Bull-sprig, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Bull-sprig

Bull-sprig Elite Refuge Member

Arkansas on Village Creek the new Hurricane
    Used to hunt it and know it -is more miss than hit. The AGFC has a ramp on 226. Question is where is it legal to go from there?? I see purple paint out there but that stuff is cheap and comes in gallons. Somebody here knows the laws so what gives????

2. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

I doubt AGFC would build a "private" ramp.

Although I did hear of a an old man getting a trespassing ticket there once for fishing???

3. PeabodyHunter

PeabodyHunter Senior Refuge Member

Laid' up here in a country state of mind...
    You mean the ramp with a sign that says "This is a Public Boat Launch"?

4. BigBird

BigBird Elite Refuge Member

AR - Jonesboro during hunting season, Fayetteville
    Huh? I can't imagine anyone intentionally posting one of our State's waterways. Are you sure that the paint isn't placed in such a way as to indicate that the property outside of the normal high water mark (i.e., the bank) is posted?

5. Bull-sprig

the question is just where is the water mark?? I daon't want to tresspass but i used to hunt a spot down the river where it splits and vomes back together forming and island. We always set up in the channel next to the flooded island. A friend started to build a blind if you call a couple of boards to stand on a blind and some folks said you can't do that. this is private. i went to the court house and there are people that do own the areas but where does their ownership end and the public ownership begin?? I hunted there for years til Roach bought some land and closed the road but you can out in at the bridge and work your way down to our old hole.Roach had a blind in the lake and never said a word as we went through. they left a trail through their dekes. Then somebody figured out there was money to be made and posted it. Legally??? I am not sure. It really is only good when water is high enough to cover the isle or everything else is frozen but would hunt it for old times sake if possible.Hard as hades to get to and the bottom is some of the hardest wading you will find. But I still miss it.

6. Bull-sprig

I know the launch is public but where is it legal from there??

7. arkansaskiller

arkansaskiller Senior Refuge Member

I know just down from the bridge to the south there is a posted sign or purple paint on almost every tree. "Up" stream I did not see any but we only hunted it one time this year, and have never hunted it before.

8. snapp

snapp Elite Refuge Member

I think you know I put the paint there and I think it will be best for all concerned to check with the enforcement folks in the area to see what the tresspass laws say on that piece :rolleyes

9. Bull-sprig

see what i mean?? But I didn't know for sure it was you. Just your M.O. Besides there might be a piece or two you don't have leased up yet. You wouldn't fault a guy for looking would you?

10. snapp

snapp Elite Refuge Member

Yes, I am in the hunting business and yes I do have a long term lease on the island property and several miles south of there. Yes, the land owner decided he wanted to make some money off his property, that his family has owned for years and paid property taxes on. Like most folks would do before signing a long term lease, we researched, through an attorney, the laws regarding tresspass on that property and verified the results through the state.

Please note, the posted paint is not simply thrown on the trees near the waterway. It is painted on heavy steel squares and attached to the trees. That makes it harder for want-a-be tresspassers to shoot them down!

As far as fishing goes, as I have stated before ... I still know of no one in the area that minds fishing from March through late September, as long as they ask first.

The boat ramp was put in when the highway department rebuilt the bridge, at the request of the county judge, so he and other people could fish.

The laws you refer to, apply to Black River, White River and so forth, not that particular area, as it is an entirely different type of water source. Check it out!

OH, I too hunted that particular area many, many years ago ... for nothing. Things changed over the years when the tresspass laws changed and when guides were on the way to being outlawed from public ground. That's when the landowner recognized his opportunity to lease the ground and my name came up.

Just for others information, to get to the island Bull is talking about, you have to go through two other sections of private ground, all of which is posted and controlled tight enough that we don't even have permission to pass through from the bridge to get to the area ourselves, during hunting season.