Decoy Forum Sponsors

Vintage plastic and paper mache' decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Billy Bob, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Since we highjacked markd's thread I figured I would start one for this subject. Who collects them? What brands and models? Favorites?

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Victor D-9's. I have a pair (hen/drake) of all species they made except teal. If anyone has D-9's in teal that are in Very Good condition (or better), PM me.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Good luck

4. Billy Bob

Those bluewings will be a near impossible find and will cost a good penny when you do. The last pair I saw was in 2014 when a mod on this site bought them.

Best of luck in your search. :tu

5. Billy Bob

Forgot to mention that I have been collecting feather lites and whatever victors I can find at a decent price. I intend to hunt over them sometimes so I don't need or want perfect condition decoys other than a few for the shelf. I'm sure I will buy other models and brands when I see them. Not many decoys for sale in these parts though. Unfortunately Ebay is about my best option.

6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

It’s taken me years but I have collected 9 mint D-9 decoys. I have 4 Mallard Drake 3 Hen Mallard and 2 Black Duck. Almost every year we hunt them for a day or 2, they are fun to hunt with and they decoy birds as well as any.

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

Hunting with vintage decoys and a gun from the same time period is always a real treat for me. Good to see others enjoying the same.

8. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I resemble that remark! :yes Yep, I got the BW Teal to finish out the Victor D-9 (1967) collection. All of mine are mint except the Bluewings and the Drake Canvasback. There was one other really nice pair of Bluewings that came up after I got mine. My brother paid pretty big bucks to get them and finish off his collection as well.

I have all of the Neumann & Bennett S-10 Plasti-Duks (Mallards, Blacks, Scaup, Pintails, Canvasbacks) also.

I've got a smattering of other brands and models, but no other complete collections. My favorites are probably the JC Higgins Life-Like paper mache mallards I have, because those are what my Dad had back when I started. I got the drake off of FleaBay, and I found the matching hen very cheap at a flea market. :tu

Good thread, BB!

Ringbill and Billy Bob like this.
  9. Billy Bob

I have a few of the mallards and 1 hen pintail and am in search of a drake or 10. :l :z A friend has a nice pair of pins but he is one of those guys that just won't part with something if you really want it even if he doesn't. :rolleyes: I have several of the newer plasti duck inflatables in both mallards and pintails. The retro spread will be getting some work this year now that it has grown enough.

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  10. Billy Bob

downsize.jpg

Part of a recent barn find of about 60 various decoys in various conditions

WHUP ! Hen and Green Duck Truck like this.