Vintage plastic and paper mache' decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Billy Bob, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

I used to take them out a couple of times a year, kinda as a respect thing to the guys that I got them from, so that they get to go out, in spirit. I really can't wear waders too much any more cause of the muck. Out here, where ever the cows wade in, it turns to terrible deep muck that won't let you go.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't do it unless they are missing a lot of paint and seriously faded. If I were to do it I would scuff sand them and paint them with the rustoleum primer for plastic and then use paint of your choice.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I have a few victors with bad paint. I will take those and paint them completly black-then add a little white to look like scaulp. When I pond hunt I still use a couple of victor mallards-lightweight when walking in-carry in a slotted bag. Kenny

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Using a couple lightweight decoys that are carried in a 15-pound slotted bag....?
    I must be really dense.

5. Billy Bob

What bags are 15 pounds? :z I want to know what not to buy. I'm thinking my next purchase of slotted bags will be from Diane. Serious question BTW

I hate slotted bags but they do have their purpose. I use them for my better condition vintage plastics and birds I have carved for obvious reasons. Any that are real junkers or repaints get bulk bagged or just stacked in the boat. I rarely use the vintage plastics on walk in hunts.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I use a 6 slot bag I bought from Diane several years ago. When I walk to this pond I carry 4 to 6 decoys. Very lite and easy to carry with handles on bag. In my boat I have 2 of Diane's 12 slot bags- these are 7 or 8 years old and still in great shape. The bags have really helped on decoys getting beat up. I think Diane's bags are very good! Kenny

Billy Bob and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I used to have a bunch of the D-9's, the ones where the mallards and sprig had the same body, just a different paint job. Terrible decoys, used to get them at Sears after the season for $12 Dz., they would get water in them and then there was a piece of metal in the keel (which had a cross in it) that would rust, expand and crack the decoy. Lot's of sinkers! I've got a few of the older 11-87's with the adjustable heads, I still use those.

8. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Well I'm not up on what models Victors D9s are----can photos be posted?
    I've got display shelves in the garage loaded with all kinds of old decoys.
    Many dozens from wood, paper mache', & plastics & foam too.
    I have various models of different Victor / animal trap decoys, but I have no clue on the models. Many various Herter's, made here in Minnie, Tren,
    Eddie Bauer that my dad had & lots more. Those rubber nozzled Plasti-duks,
    Neuman & Bennets too. No real collections, per say-----just all kinds of them. I still like looking at them all.

On the retro / heritage set note, I've taken a lot of these old plastic decoys, patched, foam filled, painted, new Tanglefree cords & torpedo anchors, & I hunt them at a few blinds here on the bay that I'm now retired on---but grew up hunting. Many of the same decoys I grew up hunting over with my dad 60+ years ago. Pretty cool, & I really get a kick out of it. I even have the old 3 hp Evinrude ducktwin & the 12 ft
    Alumacraft boat I use to hunt in with him.

Ringbill

9. Billy Bob

I would really like to see pictures! It sounds like a great Variety.

10. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

That is awesome, Ringbill. I am always up for nostalgia. New isn't always best. Old school still works fine, and there is the sentimental factor that goes with it. It's like the old guys get to go with, at least in thought.

Ringbill, Billy Bob and WHUP ! Hen like this.