Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Visiting DC

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Daisyduck, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Daisyduck

Daisyduck Elite Refuge Member

I am going to a friends wedding your way in Jan. I have never been over east at all and was wondering what you all recomended to see? I for sure want to see the Lincoln Memorial and the Smithsonian. I don't think I am takin my gun cause I'll have my baby with me but they live right on the Chesapeake Bay! Guess you can see it right out the window! Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    -Danielle

2. BigLefty

BigLefty Elite Refuge Member

Where exactly on the chesapeake bay are you going to be? I would recommend visiting Annapolis which is a pretty cool little town and is right on the bay as well. If you have a chance to make a roadtrip head to the Eastern shore to Easton and see the Mecca of Goose hunting.

But if you are just visiting DC the Smithsonians, White House, and the other monuments on the mall will keep you busy for awhile.

enjoy,

lefty

3. Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter Elite Refuge Member

About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23 people)
    :l :l She is FROM the Mecca of goose hunting...With a four bird daily limit and a ton of places to hunt, I'll take the upper Willamette Valley over the Eastern Shore any day. Hell. It's one of the reasons I moved out here after shooting DELMARVA birds for 45 plus years. Go see the monuments in DC. You already know what a goose looks like.:l

4. Walnut

Walnut Elite Refuge Member

It's been several years since I've been there, so I don't know if the exhibit has changed, but the Museum of American History (on the Mall at the Capitol) had an extensive, and quite impressive, exhibit of Revolutionary-War era weaponry. (Beware...during the Clinton administration, left-wing subversives were in charge of the museum, so a lot of the exhibits pandered to left-wing white American "guilt"). The Museum of Natural History, the National Gallery of Art, the Air and Space Museum, and the Sackler Gallery are all worth taking in. (The Smithsonian is enormous, and it will take you days to see much of it.) On 7th street, about 5 or 6 blocks north of the National Portrait Gallery, and within walking distance of the Smithsonian, is a very nice Spanish Tapas restaurant called Jaleo. We eat there just about every time we go downtown. If you have the time, take the Metro to Wheaton and eat at either Ruan Thai (tiny restaurant, but food is fantastic), or Sabang (Indonesian place, opens at 5:00 PM). Also, take the metro to Old Town Alexandria, and wander around.

If it's cold when you're here, you can go into the National Botanical Gardens (steamy inside). It's near the Museum of the American Indian and not far from Congress. If it's warm, you can go to the Naional Zoo. (Been a long time since I've been, but Chiknlips assures me that they have an outstanding waterfowl exhibit.) The National Zoo is not far from the Adams-Morgan section, which has a large assortment of ethnic restaurants. Georgetown does also, but they'll be pricier than the ones in Adams-Morgan. And, Arlington Cemetary is definitely worth a visit (it's a very moving experience), but choose mild weather, as it's all outdoors.

As for getting around, I recommend that you do not drive if at all possible. It's easy to get lost, and parking is very hard to come by. The Metro (Washington's subway system) is relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and it will take you just about anywhere you want to go (except Georgetown). PM me if you need any more ideas.

5. nalley1952

nalley1952 Elite Refuge Member

I worked at the Smithsonian it is definately a must see if you have never been. If you want to goto the White House for a tour you must make arrangements through your congressman. It would be worth a try to contact your congressman to get into the White House. They no longer offer public tours.

6. Tad

Tad Elite Refuge Member

Don't forget about the Arlington Cemetery...a lot of history and a quality tour. :cool:

7. Daisyduck

Daisyduck Elite Refuge Member

WOW that is alot of ideas! I am really glad I posted!! Thanks you guys!! I think it will be pretty cold weather in Jan. here the weather is pretty mild like 30's nights and 40-60's days. But i guess iw ill wear layers and bundle up I am bringing my 1 year old too so that will be the biggest challenge. Thanks for the tips on resteraunts!

Locked up, I think I can never see to many birds! LOL;) :p

8. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders Elite Refuge Member

I would highly recommend seeing Fort Mchenry, birthplace of the Star Spangle Banner, awesome place, and doesn't take to much time.....

D.C. is a must do also, there is too much to see there, you will have to bring a quailty stroller.

Bill

9. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

The Smithsonian and the monuments around the Mall area would take days to see them all. That is where I would go because the museums are all indoors.

10. Baileyboy

Baileyboy Senior Refuge Member

Hey "LOCKED UP", you must miss the area or you wouldn't be browsing the "Chesapeake Flyway Forum" all the way from Oregon.
    And in regards to Easton, it is one of the world's largest migaration area of Canadian Geese. Would never say it was the best goose hunting areas. Remember we live in the Republic of Maryland. We are still lucky hunting is legal here.
    Daisy, the east coast is beautiful, tons of places to visit. My wife is from the left Coast of CA. If I were you, I'd kick back and enjoy the beautiful views of the Chesapeake. Sounds like you will be staying waterfront. It doesn't get much better!!! If you love tourism, go to DC.
    :)