Vital area for bow hunters?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Jeffer, Jan 13, 2001.

1. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

Seeing that the new farm we bought appears to be polluted with Turkeys (been seeing them everyday from the house); and seeing that I just love to bow hunt; I'm definitely going to have to give this Turkey hunting a try.

It looks like a great way to get outdoors in the early spring and maybe even do some early season scouting for Deer sheds while I'm out there.
    I was just curious as to the size of the vital area on a Tom for bow hunting. I would think that it would be quite small. Maybe 5 inches around? Mostly feathers though I would guess. Would it be better to go for a head shot?

I plan on using a 2 blade head with a scorpio juddo spring behind the broadhead to prevent a total pass through the way that I do for Ducks and Geese.

What do you think? Is there a visual guide somewhere that I could get a look at to practice with before the season starts?

"still stuggling with the diaphram and walk'n like a moose"
    Jeffer

------------------
    "The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler

2. Buckeye Quacker

Buckeye Quacker Senior Refuge Member

Hey Jeffer,
    I'm not a bow hunter but I've watched a few videos where they had guys bow hunting and if memory serves me right, I belive that they said that they aim for the butt of the wing I guess this is were most of the vital areas lay behind and your right about using some sort of stopper so the arrow doesn't pass through.also I belive in this video the guy was using some sort of line that spooled of his bow so he could track it. which if you don't shoot them in the head or neck your probley will have to do alittle trackin like you do a deer. Another thing is some of the Bow hunters use a blind of some sort to hide their movement when they draw . hopes this helps some .
    Good safe hunting ,
    B.Q.

3. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

The best shot placement for an arrow, surely depends on the angle of the bird. If broadside, he is right, the shot should be at the base of the wing. Keep in mind, however, that the vital area is about grapefruit sized! Lots of meat there, and a tough job to find the bird, since they barely bleed!
    I prefer a head shot, or if the bird is facing away, break the spine, or shoot him right up the ol' back hole! Any of these three shots will drop him where he stands. I lost two Toms, which I thought were perfect wing butt hits. Made me sick to my stomach. I now only take head or spine shots, and I haven't lost one in the last three years.
    Hope this helps,

------------------
    Don't get any on ya!
    Scout

4. rascal

rascal Elite Refuge Member

Around here the most common way with a bow is to use a rubber blunt tip and shoot for the head or neck.If you hit the bird in the head or neck death is instantainous ,if you shoot a little low and get a body shot the bird gets away with nothing more than a bruise.