VORTEX

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Uncle Fuzzy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy New Member

Has anyone ever tried a vortex for Canadians? I know they work for Snows and Mallards, but was wondering how they would work for

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Canadians prefer Poutine or anything from Timmy's.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

How about a vortex with boxes of timbits on the ends? It would work for me.

[​IMG]

cootmeurer likes this.
  4. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

Growing up you learned fast with my crew not to say Canadians " I saw 50 Canadians ....... How could you tell did they speak French ???" Haha

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Now that they have all abused you......:p

Canada's don't usually like moving things flapping wings up in the air in the set. That is why everyone takes down their duck spinners when the geese start to fly.

6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Fuzz - I think you might get away with it if you were hunting only lessers, and it'd work better if there was some weather, but overall, Native is correct.

We had one hunt this year with big winds and everything was coming in on the deck. We thought were done hunting geese and had the spinner circus set up for ducks including a vortex merry go round kind of thingy with a few spinners on it and the geese kept right on coming into the kill hole.

In my experience, that is the exception and not the rule.

7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Hey, I'm in the deep south and I would decoy for a Tim Horton's breakfast.

Seriously, to chime in with others - the only motion it seems that Canadas like is a flag when they are far off. Once they get close it seems they will flare off more often than not if there is a "circus" going on in the spread.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

We've been using Goose flappers for two seasons with success.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I assume on the ground? I tried to point out 'in the air', typical spinners. I have rarely (if ever) heard of guys who run spinners in a duck/goose set that don't take them down after the early duck flight, and before the geese start to move. (Darks only) I HAVE heard of success using FB's on the ground with some type of flapping set-up.

AND, experience matters. If you have success, you might want to share exactly how you do it. What types of flappers, how many, and how are they used.

Also, to be fair to my post, the OP was talking a vortex. Lot different than a flapper.