Wa. Decoy contest question's?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by wabo, Jul 18, 2004.

1. wabo

wabo Senior Refuge Member

Ok guy's i know you plan to run the DZ's, HC's and DS's for the contest but i was wondering will you be running GHG's and Bigfoot's too?

The reason i ask is all evening i've been watching my hunting video's and i've seen geese get wacked in all sort's of place's.

Using short reed's with Good calling, over everything from homemade silo's to supermag shell's to bigfoot's and custom fb's. From Canada to the Dakota's to Neb., OH, The east coast, to Tx. to Ill. to Mo. to Ca. to even Wa. That does'nt cover it all yet give's you an idea of all over the place. Lot's of guy's using different method's even watched Honker Guide himself.

Yet i am curious since all these method's seem to work well for everyone else yet geese won't even commit to 500 foot's up there why not drop it to 24 Fb's from each brand mentioned above? Are you guy's willing to video tape the result's from all this too?

I have been considering moving up a notch to better decoy's, so i've been pouring over all my note's from past hunt's and all the vidoes lately when i'm off work. Yet i'd like to see more especially from the contest your talkiing about, over all the decoy's mentioned if your willing?

:tu

2. PGA2B

PGA2B Elite Refuge Member

Yes to almost all your questions!!!!! The purpose of the contest is to take the hunter out of the equation...and just see what decoy (if any) out performs the other.....there will be multiple positions in the field for each spread to be placed in some in good spots some in not so good spots, each decoy will spend time in each position......we will be as careful as possible to make everything work on a equal footing so no decoy gets a upper hand and we will be offering each manufaturer to have a representitive there....and if we do nothing else, we will be videotaping the contest...tapes will be available for 49.99 plus a shipping and handling fee!!:D :D :tu
    Next year I think we should try 3 doz customs against a couple hundred mass produced........

3. wabo

This is going to be a must see tape, Thank's for the info! :tu

4. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

We are having this contest to give some insight into most of the custom decoys now on the market. I am all in favor of putting out other brands than the ones we originally suggested, but we have to think this thru so that we do not clutter the fields. There will be plenty of notice given so that anyone who wants to attend can do just that and without a doubt there will be plenty oif video camers running. Because bigfoots and ghgs are so widely used, we will probaly have to include them somehow into the mix of things.

To answer your question about all the videos and tv shows that show success all over the place with every decoy imaginable, why are we doing this in the first place. Well, I guess that in my scope of things., I am really tired of seeing a lot (not all) of these videos shot in Canada, or shot in fields that have been rested for a time! I've shot several of my videos and tv shows in fields that did not have geese using them and they were not migrants that could be easily called into range. Also you have to realise that a lot of flocks of educated birds that do not decoy in, are editted out of a lot of shows or they are shown up until the time that they start to leave a recognisable set of decoys. Also, if you watch really close, you will usually see flocks that should come right in, only to flare at the last minute. And then a couple of great shots knock down and wound geese that are clearly out of normal gun range for an average shooter.

The purpose of this contest in my opinion, is to show that there are decoys that will work all the time if the hunter himself doesn't screw things up; hence the groups of 24 decoys will have nobody near them.

Paul

5. wabo

Honker Guide,

Obviously all the film's on the market have been edited! Otherwise one hunt would usually last 2 to 3 hour's. LOL. However the point is all of these guy's took geese over every type of decoy imaginable all over the country.

I've yet to see a decoy made by any company that will effectively decoy every single goose that fly's by every single day. Sure some decoy's are more effective then other's that's the point of experimenting and finding what work's the best day in and out. Thus buying better equipment each year will hopefully give me alittle better edge, yet i'm wondering just how much of an edge too.

I've only seen a handful of hunt's on video's where i would have definately taken the shot. To me if i can't harvest one goose with one shot or two at most they are too far to be shooting at in the first place. 25 yard's is a Long shot to me. LOL. However i also realize how hard it is to make everything come together for the camera too.

Will you guy's offer unedited copies of the contest for sale? :tu

6. PGA2B

PGA2B Elite Refuge Member

only editing will be when geese are not flying....wouldn't it be funny if NO geese would come into the field unless there were hunters in the blinds calling them.......LMAO....that's probably how it will go down.......