Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Wa State Banded Snow Goose

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by BlindDuck, Jan 5, 2004.

1. xtremefowler

xtremefowler Senior Refuge Member

Congrats, still waiting for my 1st neck collar. I think they are still using the red collars on birds, but the one you have definately looks old by the way it is fadded out. I saw several red collars on snows last spring when I was out scouting and they were all bright red.

2. rockandroll_kid

rockandroll_kid Senior Refuge Member

Not all of em.........member that yellow one I got

Congrats on the band and I agree with Xtreme it does look like an oldy

3. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

That band is a dandy and several years old. Looking at the leg band it appears to be an "avise" style band which ages the bird at least 6+ years old. I'm guessing it will be around 10 since the neck collars usually are not made to last all that long.

FYI Red neck collars are extremely popular on snows and they are currently putting a lot of them on. We have taken 5 red neck collars in the last few years and all except for one have come from the Northwest Terr. near Hudson Bay.

4. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I have a copy of the most recent banding report for the wrangel island geese that winter there on fir island & it has been a while since they banded geese from that group. They've just started banding again but since that bird you shot was clearly an adult bird I imagine it would have been 10+ years old.

You guys wouldn't believe how many birds in the flock that winter on the frazier /skagit delta have bands. Anytime you see a flock in a field on fir island & pull over to take a look you will see neck collars which are always accompanied by the leg bands.

Congrats - great looking bird.

Lee

5. BlindDuck

BlindDuck Elite Refuge Member

I got the band info certificate back today.

I was think the same thing as ya'll as far as the age of the bird, due to the faded neck band........we were wrong and yes the leg band was "Avise".

Band Number: 4007-46105

Species: Lesser Snow Goose

Age of Bird: Hatched in 2000

Banded: 07-13-2001

Sex: Male

Then I thought about it....the plastic neck band......it's really not surprising how faded it is after being around a neck of a goose every day for the last 2.5 years. Thats alot of weather for a little plastic band.

6. dleva

dleva Senior Refuge Member

Congratulations....again!
    What a trophy, a neck band all the way from the USSR. Although I also thought the bird would have been older, but what you said about the plastic fading quickly makes sense.
    Hope you get the bird mounted.