Waco

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by stevena198301, Mar 7, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

So, being born in ‘83, and only having vague memories of the Waco story, all from only local news stations, I’m in the middle of watching a documentary on Amazon about the entire story of the Davidians. I’m 20 minutes in, but it already appears to me there were several CYA issues with the USG... it also appears that Democrats, along with the media, seem to be demonizing this group (I’m not yet willing to refer to them as a cult or anything else). Add in Ruby Ridge, and McVeigh claiming to have bombed the FBI building, and it seems to me the USG screwed the pooch big time on many, many things. Did anything of the Davidians side of this ever air in the media? Again, I only remember the initial reports, and they all made the group out at that time to be lunatic religious whackos (from Waco, as one news company referred to them). After the initial hubbub, did any of the absolute incompetence or the Davidians side ever reach mass audiences? I know there was an investigation, but it seems the Democrats (I’m basing this off the questions asked by the investigators during the first 20 minutes of the show) seemed out to just absolutely demonize these people. From what I gather, they never found them guilty of a crime, other than being different, but within the law.

Just wondering what you fellas can recall, and help me out with something kinda before my time.

2. stump

stump Elite Refuge Member

It seems even today... "being different" is reason enough to be raked over the coals, or criticized, or demonized, or pick your word.

3. stevena198301

Also just found out (from Chuckie Schumer, none-the-less) that a flashbang grenade cannot kill, maime, injure, or otherwise harm a human being. Everybody who knows anything about them knows that, he said, as he rolled his eyes. This documentary is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Waco: The Rules of Engagmement

4. stump

stump Elite Refuge Member

Well that is good to know...... i have been wrong all these years.

API likes this.
  5. stevena198301

So about 6 minutes later in the documentary, one of the weapons experts testifies, oh yes, flashbangs will kill the pizz our of you. :l

Poor Chuckie! What a condescending little goober...

6. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

I was in Austin when it happened. We went up their to visit the site while the siege was going on. SXSW was going on - saw Green Day and they kick ***.

The Military & co Sherifs had a road block set up and wouldn't let us get very close. So it was a whole bunch of people hanging along a roadside w/ signs... Mostly religious people w/ crosses in the ground holding hands and praying/chanting. I will never forget the background noise of God awful music blaring w/ animal noises mixed in... It had a creepy vibe.

7. stevena198301

:l Coincidentally, I’m at that part right now! The FBI claims those noises only happened “minimally”, with a rep from the SWAT saying he had no idea what psychological warfara even was. This was in sworn testimony, and news reports, respectively.

OMG, this was a royal dirt show. How was a (D) ever elected again after this?

8. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

It might seem irrational in hindsight however this was not long after the Jonestown Massacre. There were a lot of similarities going on but this one was on US soil. If they would have let the same thing play out and everyone drank the koolaid there would have also been a lot of second guessing. But yes, it could have been handled a lot better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

9. stevena198301

So you support the tactics? No one drank the kook-aid. Ever. They actually stayed pretty rational, given the circumstances. I find this fascinating. I’m still watching it. I have to break every so often. I don’t think I have out loud said “whiskey tango foxtrot” so many times in one day, since I was in the military. I’m truly in disbelief.

10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Didn't Janet Reno send in the Feds to take that Cuban kid back to Cuba? There's a picture somewhere on the Internet of "SWAT" doing a raid to get the kid.

The news at the time said the excuse for going into the Branch Davidian compound was for "illegal" weapons. It was mentioned by the local east Texas news the leadership of the BD often went into town and simply should have been arrested there instead of going all "Alamo" on the compound. The other thing is there was Karisch's (?) second in command was supposed to be the militant one.

I'm not taking sides because I don't know. Plus I'm a my government are always the good guys...guy. You asked about the other scuttlebutt we heard and there's what our local east Texas news was discussing.