Wader coat recommendations.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by jjb27, Sep 14, 2018.

1. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

I need an new wader coat/jacket and am in search of Brand recommendations. Any advice/experience you could provide would be most appreciated. Drake? Banded? Cabela's Northern Flight? Other? I have a Columbia Widgeon Shell but I'd like something with a removable liner I can use in warmer weather.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

It will set you back a lot of money but a Sitka Delta Marsh Jacket layered over a Sitka Duck Oven and some merino wool base layer will give you anything you need except if you live in the most frigid of climates.

3labman likes this.
  3. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

HH NAILED IT. Sitka... Expensive, yes. But never getting wet or cold is worth it.! Best quality, fit, and versatility ive found in 50 years of wearing other brands and having them fail.

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I have an old Kabuk neoprene wading jacket that I used for years. Very warm and waterproof and was relatively cheap. Herter's and cabelas used to see for approximately $100. I think you can still get on Ebay for $150. We were looking at a similar neoprene jacket in a small hunting store last year and the neoprene jacket was $400. Neoprene jacket is very nice for the shore hunting we do in big open water. No more we elbows, etc or getting drenched pulling decoys standing next to boat with waves crashing when in water versus being in the boat. Also nice when you stumble and go down. Seen lots of guys with non neoprene waders jackets get drenched early in the morning due to various mishaps in the water.

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I bought a Wigeon ll a couple years ago and then bought their zip in liner a year later. I like the set up. Yours won’t take a liner?

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I actually tried the Duck Oven... Here in California it was far too warm for me... Were I in a colder climate, it would be a top choice.

Sitka, Kuiu, and First-Lite all make excellent rain gear... I currently own a Sitka, and wearing it for the first time last season in a good rain, I was pleasantly surprised that I (for the first time hunting in such a rain) did not have to change into dry clothes back at the truck... If you wear any of the above gear properly, you will stay dry.

7. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

They have not had any Turbo Liners in stock in XL in over a year. I keep checking and even asking them, they have no clue, so I'm stuck w a shell and no liner. I guess I could take the shell to the store and see if I can find a liner that will connect in.

Silver Wings likes this.
  8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Those are amazing jackets. The best friend of guys that hunt big water from shore. I still wear mine when I'm hunting the coast on days with 30-50 mph wind and sideways rain. The way they seal up against the waders when you take a dive keeps you pretty dry other than around the neck and wrists. In early season they will cook you, in subfreezing weather you need to wear fleece under them like wader pants under neoprene waders or you will be cold.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yeah... And do not expect your raincoat to keep you all that dry if you tuck it into your waders....:nutz

10. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like all great advice,I can reccomend(after 53 years of doing it)if you are going to layer,a wool sweater is as good as anything.Light ,stops wind ,very warm and if you want to take it off when walking it packs easily.