Wader repair

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bulldogeverett, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

Wish it were less expensive. Probably be a great decoy fix as well!?

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Problem with contact cement is it gets brittle. Not good in an item designed to flex.

SG-20 is the best I have found. Thick and sticky, and cures fast. Only problem is, the product is a 2-part liquid, and has a mixing tube that mixes it as you move the plunger. That tube will seize up almost immediately if you don't keep it flowing, and then you have to switch tubes. They give you 3, so that is good, but if you have several repairs (or doing inside and outside a tear) have everything set up, and move fast.

Aqua Seal is good, no complaints.

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

SG-20, there is nothing better to patch the rubber boot. I patched flex areas of boots that had cracked wide open on 2 pairs of waders at the first of last season and at the end of this season they're still going strong. Trick is to squirt some through the hole and then spread out the patch on the surface about 3/4" on either side of the crack.

4. cprodave

cprodave Refuge Member

I resoled some hiking boots with contact cement around 1 year ago and no signs of brittleness yet but I will keep a lookout for that especially under ball of foot where flexing is greatest. Next time I need waders repair I will try SG-20, last experience I had with Aquaseal wasn't 100 percent effective.

5. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Another vote for Shoo Goo, it seems to adhere very well to the neoprene material. It is also much more pliable and will not break and crack like some other adhesives.

6. swingnmiss

swingnmiss Senior Refuge Member

Lots of good advice here !
    I used the bicycle tube repair kit on the side of my waders also.
    It lasted for at least 3 years and never leaked !!
    Waders were replaced with breathables but the patch never leaked
    Scuff the area up , then glue them patch let dry and good to go

7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I like tire patches, good ones from the tire store. A lot of time they'll do it for you. Use the tire patch cement, which will cold vulcanize the patch to the rubber boot. Put one patch outside stitch it down with a roller and once it dries put another patch on the inside. Back in the days of canvass/rubber waders those tire patches were gold, still works well on the rubber boots, not very good on neoprene.