Wagon wheel and t patten

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by mikehmike, Nov 29, 2017.

1. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

so I have been using a pro and we are at the t pattern phase and just got JH title. I'm taking my dog threw t pattern, "over" and the wagon wheel drill. I don't want to bug the pro anymore than necessary so I figured I'd ask the question here.

I've been shown how to do both just know that upfront. My dog will sit on whistle as he goes for the pile etc. Whats the overall goal with wagon wheel, is it simply a line manners drill and should we work that before learning over or vice Versa? Also I should have asked this weekend before last with the pro but we were setting up a practice hunt test so I was kinda thinking about that rather than questions

2. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

Wagon wheel is for teaching the line that you want the dog to go on. T is to teach him to stop on command and then go again on command in the direction you want. Generally, wagon wheel comes after force to pile when you know for sure that the dog will go when you send it. Force to pile has just one pile, wagon wheel has multiple visible bumpers.
    I teach wagon wheel first. When doing T, you have several piles of visible bumpers and you want the dog to go initially where you send it. After the dog goes reliably in wagon wheel, you can then start teaching directional casts.