Waited out the jakes

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by CUTTERS DADDY, Apr 11, 2016.

1. CUTTERS DADDY

CUTTERS DADDY Elite Refuge Member

Went out with my son this morning and planned on being home by noon but things can change when hunting wild birds...
    This was our third trip together this turkey season and during the first weekend, we passed on a single jake, on the second weekend we passed on two jakes with one of them breaking the stake holding up my son's Avian-X jake decoy. This weekend we had three jakes in the decoys and one beat the crap out of the jake decoy again but didn't break the stake this time.
    While the one jake was beating on the jake decoy, we saw a couple of hens out in the distance and called them into the jakes and now we had 5 turkeys along with our three decoys looking like a party.
    We were going to give it until 10am but we had this party going on in front of us and occasionally would hear another gobbler sounding off so we really couldn't leave. Out in the distance (about 800 yards) we see two more turkeys but couldn't tell if they were the ones gobbling even through the binos. They got within a few hundred yards and now we could see they were toms. It took them about an hour and half to get within a hundred yards of us and then under the barbed wire fence (they hung at this fence for nearly 20 minutes). By this time the jakes with the hens had skirted off the decoys by about 70 yards to the right and the toms were now coming straight into the decoys. At about 50 yards out, the three jakes start heading to the toms gobbling and the two toms change direction and start heading off towards the jakes like they were going to take care of business. It was now or maybe never so my son ended up taking one of the toms which was sporting 1-1/2" spurs and over a 12" beard. Almost didn't want my son to shoot since the birds beard was skinny looking (it was just wet) but after seeing the spurs and beard...It's one of the, if not the longest, birds he's taken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Those are huge spurs.

3. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Great hooks on that bad boy!

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Them ain't hooks, them are daggers!

Great hunt and story.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice bird! Impressive spurs.

6. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

WOW those are some hooks for sure....the kind you should wait for ALL the flopping to subside before trying to pick him up.

7. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Monster spurs. Nice work. I've see that same Jake show over my Avian X decoys on multiple occasions now. No broken stakes for me yet but I bought an extra because its going to happen sooner than later.

8. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Nice spurs.