Walk in tree stand preference

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by talk2em, Nov 15, 2012.

1. talk2em

talk2em Senior Refuge Member

I hunt public land in Oklahoma and walk many miles carrying
    a climbing stand that weighs around 25 lbs. Anyone have any tree stand they prefer for this type hunting? Looking to try and go lighter/smaller. I mainly bow hunt and a lot of the time I use a game cart to wheel in the stand bow and gear as far as possible.

Just curious what others use for this type hunting?

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I like Ol Man stands. Quiet, simple, and safe. I prefer a shooting rail to lean against when I shoot, especially for those shots right under the stand.

3. MAD

MAD Refuge Member

I really love my Summit Viper. It is very safe and comfortable. I too like the rail for shooting and sitting while you climb. However I use it so much now that I was thinking about trying to find a lighter stand. Guess you have to find a middle ground on comfort, weight, and safety.

4. alabama cheesehead

alabama cheesehead Elite Refuge Member

depending on haw much u weigh u can get climbers down to 15lbs. i use a cougar claw and love it. it is similar to a sumit. it weighs about 18 or 19 lbs

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I have the Summit Backpacker, which is essentially the Viper, but it folds flat for carrying. It weighs about 21 lbs.

If I had the change to toss around, I'd look real hard at the Lone Wolf stands.

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/

6. talk2em

talk2em Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. All of those look like good options, depending on how much $ one wants to spend. That lone wolf looks nice.