Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Wannville

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by JP, Jun 3, 2016.

1. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Am planning on a trip back home (Florence) this coming December and nephew and I are plotting a couple day run to the Scottsboro/Hollywood/Stevenson area of Guntersville reservoir.

I hunted the Wannville Dewatering Unit/WDU many years ago and it was a decent location especially early on in the season.

Was wondering if anyone has any input on how it has been managed the past few seasons as I did hear it had not been kept up as in seasons past.

Thanx in advance.

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Dunno about WDU specifically, but if it's near Lake G, expect massive crowds. Being that it is the only decent duck hole for hours in any direction, you will see a ton of TN and GA plates, as well as the local folks. I'm not trying to disappoint you, but I'm just forewarning you that the area suffers extreme pressure. It nearly rivals what I've seen on public land in Arkansas, no kidding.

3. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

From 1972-late 80s I hunted the general area you have asked about. I would not consider going back now. Public areas are overrun with mud motoring units and sky busting kids. Most ducks ge t on the private ground flooded crop areas that now surround the public areas , and those ducks don't leave much. you will be disappointed today if you hunted it in the "old days".

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys and yes, the last time I hunted it (Wannville) was in 1975 and while crowded held a pot load of birds and the shooting was passable.

I understand what you mean about the M/M's as the Google Earth maps show all the lines in the milfoil from having these rigs run through it.

Here in NE Oklahoma, we get our share of OOS'ers with the absolute worst being (low-end) "kitchen table" GO's from Arkansas (after having been banned from Arkansas PHA's ~12 seasons ago) that run our public ground with clients, in blatant violation of the law.