Want to start hunting foxes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by DMBgoosehunter13, Jan 18, 2012.

1. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

We have been seeing red foxes everywhere during goose season and would like to try my hand at hunting them. I have an electronic caller with the rabbit squeals etc. When do you hunt? Morning, evening? How long should the call run before I cut it off? Rifle, shotgun, carry both? Any tips are much appreciated. Thanks!:tu

2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Red Fox are a little harder to call than coyotes are.
    If you know where to find them just hunt them as you would a Coyote.
    Now a Grey fox is a lot easyer to call and will come right in.

3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

DMB,
    I've been trapping them with alot of help from Bad Karma, and I know for sure he can tell you much more about fox and the things they do then I ever will.....but I got into calling them a month or so back when I found an old Johnny Stewart predator caller in my grandfathers basement. Originally went to the farm to call in some crows, but this was about an hour before dark and nothing responded to the crow calls at all......so, I dug into his bag and found a cottontail distress tape and thought I'd give a try. Popped it in and not 30secs and red come running up the field towards me and my nephew. It ran right up to the speaker about 20ft from us and my nephew whiffed him(missed with a shotgun). We both look at each like, holy shiz what just happened. We picked up and moved down the edge about 200yds over looking a frozen marsh. Set up and hit play, 30secs no kidding....and here comes another, running across the marsh right to us......this time I smoked her at about 20ft......in front of the speaker.

Since, I have been fox hunting almost daily for the past month. My experiences with it are this....by no means an expert, the best time to hunt them for me has been in the evening an hour or so before dark, field edges over looking thickets and marsh where they might be bedded. Full camo, and be 100% set up before you hit play, cause if they're there and are unmolested by hunters....they'll come running in seconds. When I say be ready......BE READY before hitting play!

Keep wind in mind like deer.

From my experience, your better off with a shotgun than a scoped rifle. If 2 of you are hunting, a shotgun and a rifle are nice.

I called one in tonight that came sprinting across the field to me, I couldnt get him in the scope. He ran right up to me and split never stopping once for me to get on him. Had I had a shotgun, I'd of had a much better chance at a shot.......he, is now a "molested" fox and I'll have to try something different on him in the future. I moved across the road and set up on an old logtrail with thickets on both side, got ready, hit the call and a vixen came running down the lane right to me......FAST!

I shot her about 15ft full sprint getting ready to run over me.

The colder the better. I have an extra caller if your in need of one, aint no foxpro...but it works!

Awesome, alot of fun!!!

4. DMBgoosehunter13

I have an older Predator Call machine that has dual speakers and huge battery and tapes made by some guy in Texas. However, it works!

Do you play the distress call loud or very quiet? I am going to be hunting a farm surounded by creeks, but the foxes we have seen early morning or late evening cruising the fields or field lines.

5. carolina girl

Keep it soft, bout mid volume and move throughout your property. I normally dont stay anyplace more than 10 minutes....if nothing shows up then its time to move. Might be an educated fox, or he may have came in and you didn't see him.

When you move, 150yds makes a difference

If you have any logging roads or trails through the property, set up and call them as well.

Take extra batteries.

DMB.....When it happens, it happens in seconds!

6. carolina girl

Im not an expert at his either, just started doing it a month or so ago, but thats what has been working for me.

7. DMBgoosehunter13

Don't mind at all. I think it won't take long to get hooked as we went by the farm and saw a few go in a den on the edge of one of our fields. May be easier then I think...I will kill a few get spoiled...then get frustrated :l

8. carolina girl

Just find more land.......most farmers are very receptive to fox hunters/trappers (most). I wouldnt suggest asking to hunt anything else, just fox....then let that relationship mature.

Keep in mind, if your hunting the western side of the bay, I believe the season goes out today.....if the eastern, I believe it is the 31st. Dorchester and Charles are all year long.

9. DMBgoosehunter13

Charles County for me! Which means all year long and there is no shortage!

10. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Is there any of the Red Coated Horse types arould...They wouldn't like you killing THEIR foxs at all.:no