Wanting to plan a hunting trip on or near the Missouri River...

Discussion in 'Iowa Flyway Forum' started by NWiowaCutinGreen, Oct 9, 2008.

1. NWiowaCutinGreen

NWiowaCutinGreen New Member

Hi Guys,

I am from the Northwest part of Iowa, and I am interested in hunting the Missouri River sometime later this fall. I am hoping to time it when the push is on, or at least when there is a decent number of birds coming down the central flyway. At the end of last year I was going to head over to Missouri Valley and hunt one weekend with two guy friends, but never got around to doing so. I am not familiar with the area, and was just wondering what some of you guys had to say about hunting over that way. Any information would help, whether it was locations, time, what to hunt, and even how to hunt either being over fields or in the sloughes. Thanks for all your help and get geared up for the 18th, she's coming quick!

Happy Hunting!

2. Goosekiller06

Goosekiller06 Refuge Member

Green. You say you are looking to hunt on or around the missouri right? Well there you go. The best advice I can give you, being that we live in Iowa is CORNFIELDS. It will take money and patients, but if you are willing to do the homework yourself it will all pay off. You need to find roost areas near where you are wanting to hunt. This will take time, and if you have access to googleearth it will be easier, unless of course you know of some areas. Then you will need to put in either early mornings or late evenings following them from the RA to the fields. These fields along the riverbottoms will be good for non migration days, but can be SUPER KNOCKOUTS on migration days. Birds will tend to follow the rivers anyways on flight days, so your chances of getting their attention is much better if you are close to the river, 1/4 mile or less is ideal usually. Just do your HW and look for vast cut fields. We ususally spend 15-30 min scouting for every hour we hunt. Good luck!!

3. iadukhntr

iadukhntr Refuge Member

NW..

Just give me a jingle because there is always a open seat in the boat. I hunt the missouri river when the ponds are frozen up.

4. feathhd

feathhd Elite Refuge Member

I second what goosekiller just said.:yes