Wanting to try a DIY hunt in Nebraska or Kansas....

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by BuffleheadKing2, Jan 7, 2014.

1. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

I'd like to take a week and free lance a hunt in either Nebraska or Kansas or both this spring. I am not looking for a honey hole just wanting to get an idea of what you would or wouldn't do if you went again from the guys who have been there and done that. I'm planning on going the opening week of firearm season.

Thanks for any help.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I'd go the following weekend...there are plenty of KS folks that get out on opener that hit the WIHAs combined with other oosers. Hunt mid week if at all possible.

If it is wet stick to the primary roads. Secondary are slicker than jizz on a gold tooth.

Be prepared for anything weather wise. I've hunted some good snow storms at that time of year and hunted in 90 degree weather.

3. illini36

illini36 Elite Refuge Member

Did a public land DIY hunt around Chadron, NE last year. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible with rain, lightning and gale force winds, but I still managed to scratch some nice gobblers. I would strongly suggest contacting the state and/or NWTF Regional Biologist for the state you choose to hunt. Good luck!

[​IMG]

4. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

Good info! Maybe week two would be better I like the mid week idea to. I'll look into making contact with the bio's.

5. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

kansas has a ton of public land and state-leased turkey private lands in its walk in area in its online available pdf atlas...look at their web page...download the atlas about march 1.....any area within 100 miles of nebraska border is likely to have birds.

6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

if the weather is nice, opening weekend of shotgun in Nebraska will be busy. Lots of public ground with birds and unless someone is hunting or leasing private ground, it's pretty darn easy to hunt private with a knock on a door. Birds all over the state and you could probably do a Kansas/Nebraska hunt in the same weekend if ya wanted to.

7. callemquacktn

callemquacktn Senior Refuge Member

It depends if you are looking to get your Merriam or just kill turkeys in Nebraska. If you just want to kill turkeys then stay to the south of Nebraska along the Ks line. That way you can hunt both states with out much driving. If you want the Merriam then you have to drive to NW Nebraska. I too went to NW Nebraska on a DIY hunt. Got my 3 merriams and then dropped back into Kansas and got a Rio on the WIHA land.
    Get all your license before you leave. You can not buy a license but online for turkeys in Nebraska. And you have to have it printed out and signed. As soon as you shoot that bird punch it out. I found all this out the hard way and it almost cost me with a ticket. Also you can't hunt turkeys in Ks on the same day you buy your license. Found that out the hard way too and had to burn a day of my trip without hunting. Only place we could buy a license was at the county courthouse. That is why next time I will just buy all mine on line before I even leave the house.

8. callemquacktn

My 3 Merriams
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My kansas rio

[​IMG]

9. callemquacktn

Very good advise about the roads too. If there is a house on it then it is graveled. All other roads are dirt. We spent 7 hrs stuck on one of those dirt roads turned muddy on our last day of hunting.
    [​IMG]

10. 4finbonz

4finbonz New Member

I did an early archery hunt with a friend last spring in Nebby traveling from Iowa. We went to some public ground in the southwest corner. Not too much pressure but the further west we got we started to see a lot more Colorado plates. Still got on plenty of ground. We will try Kansas next year and do a little comparison. Looks like both states' DNR have an easy to read public lands mapping system to print out.