Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

War eagle 648

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Chesapeakecody, Dec 16, 2018.

1. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Are you financing this? It'd be hard for me to finance something that wasn't perfect in a big purchase like this, especially if another 2-3 grand got me what I wanted.
    I ask this because you noted a liking for an 1860, there are other makers that could potentially get you into this.
    Also, call up some of those custom guys that build whatever you want and get a quote, you may be surprised. I got a quote from a Southern Aluma-Werks w/a 3/16" bottom, custom tunnel, and it was very very reasonable to me. There are others, I just don't have their names near me now.

Would also be worth it to shop around on the financing if you're going that route.

2. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

I have one now with a 40 hp Yamaha tiller and it's a great boat. Got it at a steal; used with 6 hrs on it. Where I hunt we sometimes hunt out of the boat also so easy to push into cover. Great for getting in tight spots and also when hunting out of the blind doesn't look like a river barge. Had a 1751 Excel that I loved but that is another story. Go here http://www.backwoodslanding.com/index.html and have a look. You might get more boat than you realize.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I will second Backwoods as a good place to buy from. I’ve done business with them a couple times. Call and talk to the fella that runs the place. Believe his name is Jeremy(?). Friendly guy. I think they sell Edge boats now. They also do custom work.

4. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I have had a 648 since 1998. The only reason I have not replaced it is too poor too. I have a cracked hul (2nd time) multiple broken welds on the boat but it floats

Mayes

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Mark I had cracked welds on mine until I quit strapping it down tight on the trailer. Mine is secured at three points but loosely even with bunk glides and slick bottom. It goes through hell pushing between trees, over logs etc.

I'm told a boat tied down tight to a trailer becomes the backbone of the trailer and takes more wear on the trailer then in the water.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I have broken welds all over the boat, but you are right it will break them if strapped down tight. As old as the boat is I will use it until it is not usable anymore

Mayes

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I have a war eagle 860 with a Yamaha 60 on it. It is an 18 footer. Hunt. Fish and crab the Chesapeake bay and tributaries quite a bit. I would not want anything smaller than an 18' deep sided boat for the bay. I occasionally see smaller boats out there and know you can when the wind is right. There are days I won't go out. We use smaller boats 14 and 16's hunting some shore blinds on some of the larger rivers where we have a ramp nearby and the large rivers can get spotty enough that being in a 14 or 16 footer chasing down a cripple can be a pucker moment. I have had my war eagle since 2005. Been good but definitely on the expensive side.

8. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

What's the overall consensus on the quality of the Edge boats? Looking at a 756 with a 50hp tiller or possibly a surface drive.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I don't own one. Have a buddy with a 15'er. He loves it. It has a hot 25HP motor on it, and does well in the timber. IMO, they are overpriced, but they do seem to be built solid.

10. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

I have used a 1648 with a 25 johnson tiller since 1999. Love the boat and the motor. I put a floor in it when I got it and its much easier to move around in because of it. Never had a single problem with it and I've used it every season. I hunt mostly in a river but have also used it in the Pamlico Sound with no issues at all. As with any boat, know your limitations and respect the conditions.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LIFE VEST.

ncb WE.jpg

Bottomland hunter likes this.