Was I lied to, or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Soonerdrake, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Soonerdrake

Soonerdrake Elite Refuge Member

Well, I am trying to get started in wildlife photography.

So I walked into the local Photo store with my Canon Rebel XTi/400D in one hand and the latest issue of DU in the other. I said "Well I have this, (my camera) and I want to do this (The DU cover pic.). What do I need and how much money do I need to save?"

He tells me, "All you are going to need is this."

Then sold me a 70-300mm tameron.

"This is all you're going to need, you can get published photo quality with this. You can always upgrade later but I doubt you will ever need anything more than this."

Sounds great. I can't wait to get it home. I slap it on and head to the park where I know the local park ducks will be. I see a bunch about 20 yards away and zoom in with my new lens.

Very disappointed.

So i find a few more birds all within about 10-15 yards of me and quickly realize this isn't what I had in mind. The only way this lens seems to be able to bring the subject into your face is if you get close enough to be...well...in your face.

I am VERY new to this so I'm wondering if I am missing something, or did the photo guy miss something. I read all the paperwork that came with the lens, which isn't much, and it appears I am getting all I can out of it. I think I need a more powerful lens to get the kind of picture depicted on the DU cover. I just wish the store guy would have told me that. Maybe he knows something about the lens that I have yet to figure out?

2. Susquehanna Gauge

Susquehanna Gauge Elite Refuge Member

I can tell you this that no matter how much lens you have you will always want more.

I personally use a 500mm prime that always has a 1.4 converter on it and 99% of the time i wish i had bought the 600mm prime or could afford the 800mm prime.

Most if not all of the images you see of in your face birds in the various magazine are shot with long lenses.. usually 400mm or more.

It's an addiction that doesnt come cheap....

I would suggest returning your lens and picking up a 400 f5.6 canon prime and buy stock in corn... you're gonna need it....

3. QuackR WhackR

QuackR WhackR Senior Refuge Member

With your camera, you have a 1.6 crop ratio, which means that your 70-300 lens is actually and 112- 480 mm lens.. A lot of the in-your-face pictures are a result of cropping in Photoshop or Photo Elements. If you take a bird portrait shot with your outfit and crop it in one of the photo editing programs, you will also have an in-your-face image.. Realize, of course, that your image will have to be very sharp to be able to crop it very much...

Dave

4. Susquehanna Gauge

you can get away with cropping to some extent but getting quality images out of that lens is going to be a tough thing to do.

we all get lucky once in a white but certainly dont count on cropping all of your images to get that in your face shot.

Hunt birds with the camera the same way as your gun... you can kill birds at 50 yards but you will have a much better percentage at 20 yards....:tu

5. Soonerdrake

Thanks Dave,

So based on your post, it seems the point I missed is that the beautiful in your face pictures are captured and then edited in the software program. That makes sense. I was expecting to zoom in with the camera and see the in your face image through the view finder. That's a very important piece of information. How can you tell when you are in the field what your close ups are going to look like if you aren't able to see what you are capturing until you get the camera home and start pulling the images out through the software?

Perhaps that is what really separates the pros from the novices.

So just so I am clear, let's say I take a picture of a duck 40 yards away with my set up, eliminating all the variables such as camera settings and light. Let's say I have everything set right. If I look at the picture, it looks like the duck is, well..about 20 yards away.

But I can get home, load them onto the computer, run it through the software and "Presto!" I can make it look like the duck is two feet away?

If that's the case, the photo store guy may actually be right.

And do you have any advice for making sure the picture is sharp enough to crop well?

6. Susquehanna Gauge

I will chime in one more time....

Editing will not fix a bad image, will not make a duck at 40 yards away look 10 yards way. It will make a good image better and bring out thost fine details and make them pop. Editing is a very important part of your photography work flow....

I'm certainly not expert at this but have taken my share of images and will give you the reality on things...

These published images you see are taken with high end glass and are cropped very little.... It honestly make a huge difference in the quality of your pictures...

I'm sure Dizzy will chime in on this when he has time...

7. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Scott! I'd say you took the words right out of my mind and mouth and said it all well!

I hate to say this but there is no zoom lens, especially an off brand that will hold a candle to a Canon or Nikon prime or Nikon or Canon prime glass zoom!

Now, this is not to say you cannot get fantastic publishable images form that Tamron zoom. "You Can"! ,,,,,If you know your P's and Q's, get the utmost of a proper exposure and know post-processing. I seen some pretty ugly stuff come from "high-dollar" primes by folks that think all they have to do is drop the big bucks and they will be professionals. Not True!

I've been in photography for over 35 years and the younger Mr Moody has well surpassed this fat old dude in the ART of BIF! It takes a few years of very dedicated practice to obtain Mr Moody's skill set. This is his specialty and he has worked hard and invested in the best tools possible for his specialty. (Even though he can be hard-headed at times :dv :nutz)

So make the best of what you have to work with and learn, learn , learn!

Now, I'm getting pretty darn good at catching those little "Foo Foo" birdies hopping from branch to branch! That's what I love doing too.

Dizzy

8. canadacaller

canadacaller Elite Refuge Member

Ole Scott is SPOT on........I pretty much shoot with the same glass as Scott, and my best shots are less than 30 yards. Shooting in Good light and good technique is also must haves, as well as a boat load of luck sometimes.....

9. QuackR WhackR

QuackR WhackR Senior Refuge Member

George and Dizzy:

I did not mean to infer that the Tamaron zoom was compatible to any of the Canon or Nikon prime or zoom lens. All I was trying to tell him was, that to get the close-up images that he is seeing, most of the time the images are cropped to a certain degree.. It is always best to get as close as you can, but even with my 500 f4 with a 1.4 tc, I do crop my images, if need be, to get a better image..

Good shooting..

Dave

10. Soonerdrake

So essentially, what I am getting is that if I bought a 600 f5.6 canon prime, and good editing software, I would be set as far as raw equipment goes.

Then of course I will have to learn how to use all of it and be in position to take the shot.

But if I learned what I was doing, that's all the equipment I need. The rest is up to experience.

I COULD use my beginners body, upgraded lens, decent software, and aall else being equal, COULD produce the quality shots like the GWT on the DU cover.

It WOULD be possible with the prime lens, but next to impossible with the Tameron.

I'm okay with that, I'll keep the Tameron for around the house type of stuff.

I just want to e ready by the fall so I can start catching some memoris in fine detail.

I just wish the photo store guy would have told me that. It would have saved me a trip. Anybody have a good online source for the prime lenses?