Was I lied to, or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Soonerdrake, Jun 26, 2011.

1. FlyFitz

FlyFitz Senior Refuge Member

You will have a lot of fun with the 100-400 f/4.5 -5.6 L IS USM lens! I know I am. Got it back in April, along with a 24-105 f/4 L IS USM. Run them on a cropped 60D. So far so good! Now I need a fast low-light lens for inside stuff (going to get the EF 50MM f/1.4, I think). Monopod has been helpful with the 100-400, but tripod is better. So much to learn, but really fun (and yeah, often frustrating...)

Lightroom rocks!

Sean Fitz

2. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Are you a student or know one??

Educational versions of CS5 or Lightroom are much cheaper. The price you mentioned sounds like the entire Creative Suite and unless you are a graphics studio, you probably do not require it.

Photoshop Elements 9 will get you started and after you've worked with it for awhile, I believe you can upgrade to CS5 if you wish for around a couple hundred $$'s

I

3. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Now Now! Don't take things I say out of context! :p

I don't hate DU and I certainly don't hate or even dislike Mr Moody!

Your images by far live up to any expectations of waterfowl BIF that I have and exceed them! It's not you or your shooting that you work very hard to accomplish and put so much into! I said that once already in this post and I repeat it again.

It's what happens to them and the little lack of QC at times by whom ever prints that magazine.

Then again my point was also that all lenses have a purpose and can obtain quality results as long as the photographer knows how to use them both in technical knowledge and creativity.

Bill described me well and you should know by now too...."STONE TABLETS"!

So I guess the moral to my story is to those who can't afford that "high-dollar glass. (And I'm certainly one of them at present) is that there is life beyond DU and BIF!! So we make the best of what we have!

However to those that desire to be accomplished at BIF and perhaps a magazine cover or page then, "Thetas Awesome" and Mr Moody has certainly set a standard and a goal to work forward to !

Jim/Dizzy

4. HDC

HDC Senior Refuge Member

No I'm NOT ... What??? You assumed you were special to that advice ... but, why are you typing? Get back out there at that park and keep shooting - hone the skills, HONE THE SKILLS!!! (Picture me as the fat coach Cosgrove eating icecream on a lawn chair as your doing wind-sprints :dv). There are still farm ducks to shoot.

BTW Lance ... you certianly have done well (extremely well) this past spring my young Skywalker. And you have the pics to prove it.:clap

5. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Dizzy don't forget the English magazine the SUN and National Enquirer etc....:dv

Doug

6. salt marsh

salt marsh New Member

Doug it's just that those words struck pretty close to home!! :l So close in fact that my first post ever on here and you knew it was me right off the bat!! I should have been more vague in my location!

7. HDC

HDC Senior Refuge Member

Lance like you, there are many great up and coming photographers on this forum. We all just like to take photos and want to learn how to do it better. I'd like to think that if you're having fun taking pictures, then you can never be doing it wrong.

8. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

That's a mouthful and very true! When it stops being fun, Ill hang it up!

Dizzy

9. Soonerdrake

Soonerdrake Elite Refuge Member

well I have spent a few days reading and researching and here is what my novice brain conccludes:

I have two options:

#1 pick up a 100-400mmL and a 1/4 tc.

#2 pick up a 400mm prime and a 1/4 tc

#3 pick up both.

Both because as a duck hunter I want to be able to shoot in low light such as dawn and overcats winter days, thus the 100-400mm plus it will give me versatility

I also want to be able to shoot BIF so I would want the fast autofocus of the Prime and I'd use the Prime for the sharpest images when conditions allow.

The fourth option I don't have would be picking up the

EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Lens.

Because I can't afford it.

So if I go with these lenses I should be set. The rest is the hard working fun part,

learning how to use them, how to use the camera and how to do the post picture processing work.

But I shouldn't have to worry about equipment for awhile. If ever.

10. QuackR WhackR

QuackR WhackR Senior Refuge Member

You have a 5th. option.... You could buy a 500 f4 instead of the 400 f2.8 and (1) save some money and (2) get probably the best prime telephoto lens available for BIF...

JMHO

Dave