Was I lied to, or am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Soonerdrake, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Susquehanna Gauge

Susquehanna Gauge Elite Refuge Member

Why dont your rent all of your listed options and see what works best for you before you purchase.

I wouldnt count on getting great results out of either lens with the 1.4 attached.... some may argue that fact but unless you have a 1D Series camera you will lose autofocus on both lenses mentioned.

2. wtrdog

wtrdog Senior Refuge Member

I agree with SG. Rent some lenses first so you can compare, etc. In addition, i'd add the 70-200 2.8 into the mix if you're looking at low light applications. :clap

3. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

You have to crawl before you can walk!:l

If every photographer could take photos like on the cover of DU, it would be a boring world. Some photographers will NEVER take photos like that.

Its kinda like walking into a guitar store and saying I wanna play the guitar like Jimmy Hendrix, Van Halen, etc.. Sure you can spend $X on a Fender Stratocaster, but you still have to learn how to play it, same with photography:tu

If that makes no sense, I can come up with other analogies, they may involve strippers though, such as you can buy the best brass pole, but...ah nevermind:doh

4. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

Well Said! And Scott is right too...Rent to see what works best for you!

DIzzy

5. Soonerdrake

Soonerdrake Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

If what SG is true, then I'll need to look into upgraded for a 1D series camera in oreder to use the TC.

6. Dizzy Duck

Unless you buy a f4 or faster lens. i.e. Ef300 f4, 500 f4, 600 f4, 400 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8.....

If you buy a 1.6 crop body then the 100-400 will do a fine job and who needs a 1.4X anyway got that combination!

This is with the EOS 1 Mark IIN, the 100-400L and the 1.4X teleconverter.

Don't let anyone tell you that the 1.4x and the 100-400 doesn't give excellent results.

[​IMG]

BIF with the 100-400 and the 1.4X on the Mark IIN:

[​IMG]

BIF with the EOS 5D (full frame) and the 100-400 by it self!This aint no slow bird! He was passing by with the after-burner! Much faster than a Mallard with the flaps and gear down! (Razzing you Scott :dv) I literally took sharpness out to simulate film!

[​IMG]

Dizzy

7. Soonerdrake

Soonerdrake Elite Refuge Member

That is pretty! That's what I am hoping to get to. Make my very own bird book. Of course it will have lots of ducks.

8. Susquehanna Gauge

everyone gets lucky once in a while...

haha...

for those easy birds in flight... forget it... focus is way too slow... but what do i know...:dv ask brian rhodes.... he's been there and tried also...

and yes... its true... no autofocus on non 1D series with the 1.4 on any lens with f stops of f5.6 and higher....

9. Dizzy Duck

I agree on the SLOW focus! (1.4 attached) I curse the thing almost as much as I love it!

I do have a very sharp copy and have been blessed with it! It is an excellent lens for photojournalism which is my primary function!

If you want fast focus, You should shoot the 400 f2.8! That thing sizzles.
    I am considering dropping the bucks for the newest version. This one will weigh about the same as the older 500.

Diz

10. Susquehanna Gauge

it better be fast for the price....