Watch out for ticks!

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Clayton, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

i have stayed pretty aggressive with treating my clothes with permanone but still got one attached to me about a month ago. I have been feeling like crap for several weeks. Finally went to Dr for bloodwork. Came back positive for Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever. Be careful out there!

2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Clayton, you really need to catch a break. Hope you have a quick recovery!!!!

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Got dang man! If it weren't for bad luck, I reckon you wouldn't have any! Here's to a speedy recovery bud!

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

That's a bad deal Clayton. I took a tiny seed tick off the calf of my right leg last Friday and now I have a red rash for about 6" below the bite. Itches like crazy.
    What's the treatment for RMSF?

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Early stage is just like Lyme's with a cycle of antibiotics.

Clayton,
    I'm glad the doctor caught it. Lyme's is so in the news I know a few folks who ended up in bad shape after the doctors failed to test for anything other than Lyme's. One man here in Memphis went through a really bad time. He was sick, and getting sicker for years, but physicians couldn't figure it out. He ended up losing his family, his home and his business before they figured out what was wrong. He's a lot better now, but he'll never be the man he was before.

6. Clayton

Luckily my Dr decided to check for Lyme and RMSF in addition to other tests. Doxycyclene is the common treatment for it. I am taking off the rest of the week to get as much rest as I can. 75% mortality if left untreated. Damages heart, lungs and liver.

Oddly I never got a rash or fever. Rash doesn't always occur and I rarely ever get a fever no matter how sick I am.

7. Clayton

Go get tested now GunnerX2

8. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Dang Clayton you've had some rough luck. I use this.......

http://www.repel.com/products/personal-repellents/repel-100.aspx

Spray around my pant legs and waist. Not something you want to get on your skin much but works wonders on your clothes. If working on blinds I'll spray the blind and entire area. Mosquitos keep their distance also.

9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Ironic......I posted in this thread yesterday about my technique and while working on my tractor tonight felt something on my lower back. It was a tick alright. Serves me right for trying to give advice :cool:

10. The Old Taz

The Old Taz Senior Refuge Member

Most of you find this hard to believe....but here I go. I've had farm in southern Ontario for 7 years now. I got my first tick ever 4 years ago. The last 2 years I counted 17 ticks each year in or on my me...all dog ticks. In late March of 2016 I got my first deer tick, a male in my side, no Lyme disease according to public health.

This year I have counted between 70 and 75 on or in me....all dog ticks. The worst one was on the head of my you know what, it was biting good. I told the wife I had to whack it off when I found it.

Jokes aside, these are crazy numbers. I think it's our new reality. The newest ones in our area now are the dogstar tick which apparently makes u allergic to red meat.