Watch out for ticks!

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Clayton, Jul 17, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Lonestar tick, not dogstar. Getting them en masse here also. I treat the back yard, because thats where the dogs run. It isn't seeming to help. They are still getting them. Doesn't help we have a big pasture behind the house. No matter how many I kill, there is more right next door to take their place.

As for them being in Canada, that sucks! Welcome to my world...

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Try Bravecto for your dogs. You'd be surprised how well it works.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Spoke with the vet about it about 4 months ago. She assured me the stuff I'm using is just as effective on everything except flea eggs (I think it was flea eggs, but can't be sure). Anywho, she said I should be good to go for ticks. I still don't like them being in the yard. Nasty little *******s...

4. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Finally put Sevin down around the house and shed. We could not step outside without getting a tick on us, even if we never stepped off concrete. I swear they are dropping out of the trees.

5. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

20% have no rash what i was told last year after being bit by a lone star tick contracted heartland strain about killed me before tried experemental drugs and it got it under control

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I don't doubt they do. Last year I went on a errand and never stepped in grass. Left the house, drove straight to the appointment and parked underneath a small tree. When I got home, changing clothes, I discovered a tick on my neck/shoulder area. The only thing I could think of was that the tick dropped out of the tree I parked under. Fortunately the tick had not dug in.

7. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

It is common for ticks to drop out of trees or off of bushes. My understanding is that they can sense CO2 or heat emitted by warm-blooded animals and that triggers them to "fall". A lot of the larger ticks I find on me seem to be on my shoulders or neck; they didn't get that far up without me feeling them if they started at the bottom!!

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Heck, I had one crawling up my leg last month while I was in a bass boat in the middle of KY Lake. I'd been out for four hours at the time. I'm assuming it had fallen in the boat while towing and eventually found me.

9. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

I have read in numerous places that ticks don't fall out of trees or even climb up into trees. I say bull $&@?!