Water & Field Combo Spread

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by WestKyHunt, Jan 4, 2018.

1. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Refuge Member

This year has been weird in my area. Hardly any rain then coupled with everything locked up in ice. I'm finding the public blinds I'm hunting a lot more difficult to set up and hunt.
    This is only my 3rd full season of duck hunting and with no family or friends with experience, I'm here on the fuge looking for advice.
    With everything locked up I'm looking into full body decoys to supplement the small hole I can bust open or even hunt dry over.
    So to the question. just starting out, and a relatively small budget, what kind of full bodies should I buy and how would you use them in these situations?
    For example last week I was last drawn at the local wma and the only blind left had only 5-6 inches of water that was 40 yards from the blind and covered in a(n) inch or so of ice.

2. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

If you have geese in your area you may want to think about some goose shells. I use more goose decoys to kill ducks than I do duck decoys anymore. Also I don't love Dakota but they have a floater that has a flat bottom so you could throw them on the ice too.

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

That flat bottom with a recessed keel is kinda cool.

4. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Refuge Member

I have a 6 pack of cheap goose shells I use now and thought about expanding them and/or adding full body goose decoys. I know most that hunt the same wma don't use really any full bodies, duck or goose, and I like to be different in a high pressure area

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Flambeau full bodies are a lot of bang for the buck.

WestKyHunt likes this.
  6. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Refuge Member

If I were to buy more goose decoys what postures should I get? I was thinking sleeper shells and some active and rester full bodies. I know most recommend only feeders but they will mostly be used on ice.

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

They don't make them anymore but try and find used ghg resters and sleeper full body ducks.

Sleeper canada shells if you have canadas around. You can sit your full body geese directly on the ice without the feet/base too.

WestKyHunt likes this.