Water in Columbia Bottom or MTC?

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by jjb27, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

My brother and I were thinking about hitting one of these MDC areas this weekend, does anyone/has anyone know if there's water in the pools? I guess since there are two of us, we'd be in the Poor Line? Hope you all are having a good season and appreciate the input.

2. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 Refuge Member

Can't say anything on Columbia Bottoms as I have not been there, but MTC you can call 314-877-6020 ext. 3 for an update. In fact if you goto https://extra.mdc.mo.gov/widgets/wtrfwl_harvest/ they will should have phone numbers at the CA you choice to view.

Good luck.

3. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

They have pumps. They've been pumping water since October. Good luck finding a duck there, have you looked at the kill sheets?

4. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

I just did, totals are not good around St. Charles/St. Louis areas. It's our first time so we will just go to get out and enjoy the day.

5. captaininsano050

You mean you hope you will get out. On the kill sheets it also shows you that not many positions are hunted and there is a lot of competition for those few spots.

6. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

Forecast Saturday is rainy and 65, that's not good for duck hunting correct? Is it even worth going out in that weather/will they fly?

7. captaininsano050

Correct. I wouldn't go out in that weather especially to either of those spots. But you can't kill em on the couch either.

8. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

It’s my brothers and I’s first duck hunt so we will just go and hopefully get out there and see a bird or two or more. Can always go back to bed. Just pumped to get out there

9. captaininsano050

10. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

got the last spot from pill 13. We were in 7w at Columbia Bottom. Took us a bit to get our bearings in the dark but we got set up right at 629. Had some early action; my brother got one but must've just nicked him b/c he got into the corn before we could get to him. We moved to more open water but things were slower there. Finally, we jumped to the east edge of our our pool and set up in the tree w/our dekes about 40 yds out in a pool. This seemed to be more along that days flight paths and we saw a lot more birds there. They just weren't coming in low enough for us or anyone. There was a party in 7E nearby and they wouldnt come down for them either. I figure my calling was our issue. Never called before. Just a bit of practice at home. Had a blast though. Going back this Sat w/some marsh stands/chairs though.