Water Table

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by flyn88, Feb 7, 2018.

1. flyn88

flyn88 Refuge Member

What is a good way to test an area to see if a impoundment could be dug? The area is close to a river, and floods whenever it comes up. I had thought about using an auger to drill some holes, and slip a pipe in to keep from caving in. Would something like that work? I'm just looking to get an idea of how far down I'd have to dig.

2. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

Lots of variations but most duck ponds aren't dug (like a fish pond would be dug.) duck fields are usually just ag fields with a dike around them to catch and hold water on the field, allowing the grain to be flooded in the winter but also drained in the spring so you can plant the crops. You should start with a perc test to see if your ground will hold water. If it will hold water, an elevation survey will tell you where the dike needs to be placed and how high it needs to be.

3. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm

The above link will take you to the NRCS Soil Survey. From there you can gain some insight on what soil types are in your area and, from that, how well you'd hold water.

Feel free to post up the results for some opinions!

4. flyn88

flyn88 Refuge Member

How do I go about doing a perc test? I looked at the map from the link posted. Results are split into two sections. Raveenwash silt loam, 0 to 2 percent slopes, occasionally flooded, and Moundprairie silty clay loam, undrained, 0 to 2 percent slopes, frequently flooded, long duration.

5. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Oof. Yeah I'd want to test the soil before doing any serious work. It only needs to hold water for 60 days a year, but I'd like to see more %clay in your soils, and less %sands